Shimano Gears

A Yeung

Guest
Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models of Shimano
shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest model get a
better shift than the other or just the weight , costruction material that made the difference. It
seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay. As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears
and it is worth it ? Many thanks for your comments and advice.

Anthony Yeung

A Yeung wrote:

> Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models of Shimano
> shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest model get a
> better shift than the other or just the weight , costruction material that made the difference.

I think you will find that different models are/were built for different purposes; racing,
kmart/target/toysRus, touring, mtb, etc.

Being a tourer, I prefer steel with the longest cage (allows widest gear range) on the rear. Fronts
can either pull to highest or lowest amd I again like long cage and widest swing.

YMMV

> It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.

As previously mentioned, you could be paying for the image associated with the name. If you do buy
top of the range, please let me know it the high quality parts really do attract the chics {:).
OTOH, its probably not worth the effort.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

,
> costruction material that made the difference.

Higher-end parts tend to shift more smoothly and precisely than the low end ones, and they do so
with less weight, and generally better durability. At some points on the line, you get better
features, too (9 cogs on the rear, etc).

> It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.

Yes, the higher-quality stuff costs more to make, and is probably made in smaller quantities, too.

> As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears and it is worth it ?

It would depend a lot on the age of the bike, how much you are prepared to spend (drivetrain
upgrades can be very expensive), and whether you really need the upgrade (could your money be better
spent on other things?). It may well be better to replace the bike outright, there isn't much point
in upgrading a low end bike with high end parts. YMMV, of course.

--Chris

"Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models
of
| > Shimano shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest
| > model get a better shift than the other or just the
weight
| ,
| > costruction material that made the difference.
|
| Higher-end parts tend to shift more smoothly and precisely than the low
end
| ones, and they do so with less weight, and generally better durability. At some points on the
| line, you get better features, too (9 cogs on the rear, etc).

According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
are heavier than the XT versions.

| > It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.
|
| Yes, the higher-quality stuff costs more to make, and is probably made in smaller quantities, too.
|
| > As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears and it is worth it ?
|
| It would depend a lot on the age of the bike, how much you are prepared to spend (drivetrain
| upgrades can be very expensive), and whether you really need the upgrade (could your money be
| better spent on other things?). It
may
| well be better to replace the bike outright, there isn't much point in upgrading a low end bike
| with high end parts. YMMV, of course.
|
| --Chris

Marty

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
> are heavier than the XT versions.

I didn't know that. But as a general rule, the higher you go, the less weight you get.

--Chris

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
> are heavier than the XT versions.

Some possible explanations. The new XTR cranks include their new BB design with BB axle as part of
the crank. This adds weight that in XT is probably measured separately as the BB.

XTR shifters are built into the brake levers for STI style braking and shifting with one lever. Thus
the heavier weight may include the brake lever also.

Chers Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

| "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| >
| > "Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > |
| > According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur,
crankset
| > and rapid-fire shifters are heavier than the XT versions.
|
| Some possible explanations. The new XTR cranks include their new BB design with BB axle as part of
| the crank. This adds weight that in XT is probably measured separately as the BB.
|
| XTR shifters are built into the brake levers for STI style braking and shifting with one lever.
| Thus the heavier weight may include the brake
lever
| also.
|
| Chers Peter

Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the brake lever and is 2 grams
lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.

Marty

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the
brake
> lever and is 2 grams lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.
>
> Marty

fairly comprehensive guide on component weights can be found at http://weightweenies.starbike.com

I still reckon if I could lose that 5kg spare tire it'd be cheaper than an xtr grouppo

"MPD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

| "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| >
| > Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the
| brake
| > lever and is 2 grams lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.
| >
| > Marty
|
| fairly comprehensive guide on component weights can be found at http://weightweenies.starbike.com
|
| I still reckon if I could lose that 5kg spare tire it'd be cheaper than an xtr grouppo

I agree. Money spent at Jenny Craig would be money far better spent Perhaps the next Shimano upgrade
will be a Shimano Calorie Counter! (Get the Carbon model).

Marty

[A bike mechanic once told me if the group starts with A, give it the "A". Maybe that counts that one out?
Regards.

Chester1 wrote:
> [A bike mechanic once told me if the group starts with A, give it the "A". Maybe that counts that
> one out? Regards.

That covers half the range! Altus, Acera, Alivio. The mechanic is a gear snob. Maybe he doesnt like
them because they are cheaper to replace than to repair??

--
make nospam into oz to reply.