Shimano groupsets

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by cw2864, Oct 6, 2006.

1. cw2864

cw2864 New Member

I'm looking at getting a new road bike and would like some guidance on the best Shimano groupset considering value for money. I currently have Shimano 105 but most people with Ultegra and above swear there is a big difference. What are the main differences (besides cost and quality) between the different types, including Dura Ace? Are there different gear ratios or more gears? Better shifters?

Tags:

2. pixelmill

pixelmill New Member

Weight goes down & quality goes up - to get a good idea - look at Dura Ace Pedals compared to the rest of the Shimano line - look at the bearings and the fit and you see the details...

I have mix of Ultegra & DuraAce & anothe bike with 105 - there's a definite difference. Some things - like a cassette - are mayve a bit more durable as Ultegra [not too light & slightly more fragile] - a lot of pro teams - like CSC run ultegra cassettes for this reason. I also have FSA cranks - whick rock! :)

3. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

Personally, the difference to me was the smoothnes between the groups. Ultegra is a bit smoother than 105 and Dura Ace the smoothest of all. Also, the number of carttridge bearing goes up in each succesive group. As for value, I see nothing wrong with running 105. I run 105 with an Ultegra RD, a Truvativ crank, and a SRAM cassette. The cassette is the only non-smooth component. Not as smooth as Ultegra, and now where near Dura Ace, but it does its job very well.

4. cyclepromo

cyclepromo New Member

I'll assume that you currently have a 9 speed group.

With the move to ten speed you'll notice a difference right away. Besides weight the biggest difference is in the shifters. You can run different levels of derailleurs (some bikes in the mid-range mix derailleurs to save a few bucks). Its the shifters that make a huge difference. If you're racing the bike spending the bucks for a better group with better shifters is a good idea. If you're riding and commuting a 105 group is fine.