Shimano HG-53 9 Speed Chain ... compatible with... ???

Adam-from-SLO

Nov 30, 2003
Hello All,

Was wondering if anyone has any info. on this Shimano HG-53 9 Speed Chain ? There is someone on Ebay right now, selling the chain... and saying it is a great alternative to the Campy 10-speed chain (same narrow fit). Was also wondering if this Shimano chain will work on a Campy 9 speed drive line ??

Thanks in Advance.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Was wondering if anyone has any info. on this Shimano HG-53 9 Speed Chain ? There is someone on Ebay right now, selling the chain... and saying it is a great alternative to the Campy 10-speed chain (same narrow fit). Was also wondering if this Shimano chain will work on a Campy 9 speed drive line ??

Thanks in Advance.
Dunno about the 9-speed compatibility (I know SRAM and Shimano 9-speed are interchangable, but dunno about Campy), but I would be hesitant on running any 9-speed chain on any 10 speed system. Liable to clang into cassette teeth and be a pretty poor fit.

Looking up some random info from here Shimano 9-speed sprocket thickness is 1.78mm, and campy is 1.75. Cog spacing is a little wider on Campy-9 than Shimano/SRAM-9 so I don't think there'd be a problem. Considering that there are many places that sell HG53 chains for next to nothing, I guess it's worth a shot.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Thanks in Advance.
It'll work on campy 9 but why bother unless you can get a bunch of them real cheap. It isn't the real deal for Campy 10.