Shimano HG50. 7 to 8 speed ?

Ludicrous

Nov 23, 2005
I have a Miyata aluminum framed quickcross with a Shimano HG50 cassette hub. Will a eight speed cassette work here? I presume redishing might be called for? Since I already have the shifters I was hoping this would work. I won't be able to coldset to 135 so I question feasability?
Thanks for imput in advance.

Ludicrous said:
I have a Miyata aluminum framed quickcross with a Shimano HG50 cassette hub. Will a eight speed cassette work here? I presume redishing might be called for? Since I already have the shifters I was hoping this would work. I won't be able to coldset to 135 so I question feasability?

7s Shimano hubs only fit 7s cassettes. However, you could replace the 7s freehub body with a newer one that will accomodate 8s or 9s (or 7s with a spacer) cassettes. These cost about $30-35.

There is a way to use 8 cogs on a 7s freehub, and that is to get a 9s cassette and spacers but only use 8 of the 9s cogs/spacers. The problem with this is that you then need a 9s chain and 9s shifters (with the 9th click locked out) so this isn't really an economical fix.

Ludicrous said:
Everything John M said is correct. You can get that and much more from this Sheldon Brown page:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#897

Thanks for your reply's. I will Ebay a LX eightspeed hub and rob the cassette body. The Sheldon Brown link was most helpful.