Shimano Hierarchy.

Irish Indurain

Jul 23, 2004
Hey,
Just wondering if someone could explain to me the order in which shimano organises its gearing systems.
I know Dura-ace is most likely at the top and sora at the bottom but in between i get a bit confused. 105, ultegra, tiagra etc. Where do these rank along the hierarchy as it would really help me in purchasing a new bike. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Irish Indurain said:
Hey,
Just wondering if someone could explain to me the order in which shimano organises its gearing systems.
I know Dura-ace is most likely at the top and sora at the bottom but in between i get a bit confused. 105, ultegra, tiagra etc. Where do these rank along the hierarchy as it would really help me in purchasing a new bike. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Sorry, This is the correct link

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/products.html

Irish Indurain said:
Hey,

Do some searching or put this in the FAQ. We have gone over this far too many times. My advice would be to buy the best frame possible. If you aren't already keen to the hierarchy, you're not going to notice much if any difference between 105 and DA groups.

I can follow what Capwater said. I was running a mix of 105 and Ultegra on my previous bike (with Tiagra shifters, even! :eek: Don't ask, long story, lots of Frankenstein upgrades) And just bought a new bike with all Dura Ace. Let's just say I'm not totally awed by the performance difference. Sure, there is a performance gap, but it's not completely night and day. More like noon and 3 PM. LOL Get the best frame you can and allow for the best components you can after that. The frame will likely outlast the components, anyway.