Shimano history question??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by It'S A Nom De P, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???

    What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

    Thanks in advance

    steve

    Tags:

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "It's a nom de plum, dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???

    yes

    > What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

    That would be telling :)

    Hint - it isn't anything to do with fishing (their main source of income), and strictly speaking
    they didn't achieve it. The actual achievement was very widely reported though.

    cheers, clive

  3. On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
    >What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

    Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race in July.

  4. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
    the answer.

    --
    "Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
    above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" JRR Toliken, The Hobbit

  5. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 20-Feb-2003, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "It's a nom de plum, dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???
    >
    > yes
    >
    > > What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
    >
    > That would be telling :)
    >
    > Hint - it isn't anything to do with fishing (their main source of income), and strictly speaking
    > they didn't achieve it. The actual achievement was very widely reported though.

    Yes, even the Yanks heard about that one.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  6. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 20-Feb-2003, "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
    > the answer.

    Ah well I was right off track then !

    Cheers,

    Andy

  7. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    automatic gear shifting?

    --
    "Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
    above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" JRR Toliken, The Hobbit

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
    > the answer.

    maybe true ... but ...

    I guessed, then checked. Interestingly enough on a pro-campy site.

  9. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    andyp <[email protected]> wrote:
    > at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
    > the answer.
    Possibly, but probably not the answer that the OP was looking for :) As someone has already
    mentioned, even the Yanks got it right (and there's a big, fat clue if ever there was ;-) )

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
    > >What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
    >
    > Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race
    > in July.

    Not really a big fat Yank then.

  11. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    I think it is the first time a Shimano equipped bike won the Tour de France.

    Trealaw Boy

    "It's a nom de plum, dude" wrote:

    > I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???
    >
    > What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > steve

  12. Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
    > >What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
    >
    > Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race
    > in July.

    In a similar vein, was Joop Zoetemelk (1980) the only rider to win the Tour de France on a
    British-built machine [1]?

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Not counting Luis Ocana and his heavily-disguised Speedwell Ti, as that was only used for
    mountain stages in '73.