Shimano history question??

It'S A Nom De P

Guest
I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???

What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

Thanks in advance

steve

"It's a nom de plum, dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???

yes

> What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

That would be telling :)

Hint - it isn't anything to do with fishing (their main source of income), and strictly speaking
they didn't achieve it. The actual achievement was very widely reported though.

cheers, clive

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
>What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?

Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race in July.

at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
the answer.

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" JRR Toliken, The Hobbit

On 20-Feb-2003, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "It's a nom de plum, dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???
>
> yes
>
> > What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
>
> That would be telling :)
>
> Hint - it isn't anything to do with fishing (their main source of income), and strictly speaking
> they didn't achieve it. The actual achievement was very widely reported though.

Yes, even the Yanks heard about that one.

Cheers,

Andy

On 20-Feb-2003, "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote:

> at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
> the answer.

Ah well I was right off track then !

Cheers,

Andy

automatic gear shifting?

--

"andyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
> the answer.

maybe true ... but ...

I guessed, then checked. Interestingly enough on a pro-campy site.

andyp <[email protected]> wrote:
> at a guess, after spending 5 mins on the web, I would say Compressed Air Gear Shifting was
> the answer.
Possibly, but probably not the answer that the OP was looking for :) As someone has already
mentioned, even the Yanks got it right (and there's a big, fat clue if ever there was ;-) )

Simon
--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
> >What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
>
> Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race
> in July.

Not really a big fat Yank then.

I think it is the first time a Shimano equipped bike won the Tour de France.

Trealaw Boy

"It's a nom de plum, dude" wrote:

> I'm trying to answer a question in a quiz...does anyone know the answer???
>
> What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> steve

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:23 -0000, It's a nom de plum, dude wrote:
> >What did the company 'Shimano' achieve in 1999 that they had never done before?
>
> Be the main bike component manufaturer of choice by the winner of one particular stage race
> in July.

In a similar vein, was Joop Zoetemelk (1980) the only rider to win the Tour de France on a
British-built machine [1]?

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[1] Not counting Luis Ocana and his heavily-disguised Speedwell Ti, as that was only used for
mountain stages in '73.