Shimano hub service interval

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe, May 22, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    The Novermber 2002 CyclingPlus Workshop article suggests servicing once a year, for frequently used
    bike hubs. I've about 3000 miles on a set used over the past year or so, and recently replaced with
    lighter wheels for spring and summer.

    The hubs in question are by Cannondale Performance off of a T800. How many of the experienced
    cyclists here are servicing their own hubs, and how often?

    In addition, the CyclingPlus article suggest that ball bearings should be replaced during a major
    service, and not to use the standard bearings normally used by cycle shops. Rather to use 'top
    quality ball bearings as those supplied by Shimano for Dura-Ace and Utegra hubs.' What type would
    these bearings be? BikeToolsetc.com offers both chromium steel and stainless steel bearings. With a
    hub service, and bearing change every 3000 miles or so, does it make any sense to go with the
    stainless? They're only about $2 more for a bag of 100, but is it gilding the lilly, so to speak?

    Thanks in advance for your comments and advice, Joe

    Tags:

  2. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Campy bearings are chrome-steel grade 25 and are a level above what a shop will usually give you if you don't ask for them (my experience). That web site you linked to has some great prices, thanks! Grade 25 means plus or minus 25 millionth's of an inch tolerance. So a 1/4" bearing could be 0.249975 to .250025 inches diameter. Stainless might be a bit harder than chrome-steel which would mean less pitting but I doubt you'd get any extra benefit in a hub.

    Ball bearings can fail by cracking but you're more likely to see pitting and spalling on hub bearings (mostly from dirt contamination) which will cause a slight increase in rolling friction and a slight decrease in load carrying capacity. Over time the balls will get slightly elliptical and if you put the same ones back in they'll be in a different orientation and you'll get reduced performance - these are extreme examples, hub bearings can last a really long time if treated well (clean and lubed, not over-loaded). Nevertheless, classic bearing advice for any application is to never re-use balls. .

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Novermber 2002 CyclingPlus Workshop article suggests servicing once a year, for frequently
    > used bike hubs. I've about 3000 miles on a set used over the past year or so, and recently
    > replaced with lighter wheels for spring and summer.
    >
    > The hubs in question are by Cannondale Performance off of a T800. How many of the experienced
    > cyclists here are servicing their own hubs, and how often?
    >
    > In addition, the CyclingPlus article suggest that ball bearings should be replaced during a major
    > service, and not to use the standard bearings normally used by cycle shops. Rather to use 'top
    > quality ball bearings as those supplied by Shimano for Dura-Ace and Utegra hubs.' What type would
    > these bearings be? BikeToolsetc.com offers both chromium steel and stainless steel bearings. With
    > a hub service, and bearing change every 3000 miles or so, does it make any sense to go with the
    > stainless? They're only about $2 more for a bag of 100, but is it gilding the lilly, so to speak?

    Whenever the wheel is out of the bicycle, habitually spin the axle ( not the skewer) in
    your fingers.

    Open, clean and rebuild when there is any hint of roughness or grit. Use any grade 25 bearing. Yes,
    stainless is overkill in an application that runs in grease. The normal bearing is chrome steel.