shimano hub with campy 10s, HELP????

meneerguus

May 3, 2004
Hello,

I just bought a pair of "lightweight" wheels with shimano cassette body. The rest of my bike is equipped with Campagnolo 10s.

Is it possible to convert or buy a 10s cassette that works perfect with campy 10s but fits on an original shimano cassette body?????

I already did some small research:
- Cassettes from Marchisio do not fit, because shimano's body is narrower than campy's.
- American classic cassettes are too expensive ($220-250,-)
- Replacing the cassette body is not possible
- I don't want to re-adjust my rear derailleur every time I take this wheelset, or (in a race) take a spare wheel.

Anyone?

meneerguus said:
Hello,

I just bought a pair of "lightweight" wheels with shimano cassette body. The rest of my bike is equipped with Campagnolo 10s.

Is it possible to convert or buy a 10s cassette that works perfect with campy 10s but fits on an original shimano cassette body?????

- Cassettes from Marchisio do not fit, because shimano's body is narrower than campy's.
- I don't want to re-adjust my rear derailleur every time I take this wheelset, or (in a race) take a spare wheel.

Anyone?
Why didn't you just buy the correct frigging wheel/hub? :rolleyes: Cog spacing is close enough you can probably just run a shimano 10 speed casette with an otherwise campy 10 drivetrain.Don't count on doing it without a derailer adjustment tho.

I have had a Wheels Inc converted Ultegra cassette for a couple of years, used it to put Shimano hubb'd Rolfs onto my Campy 10 bike. As I recall, I paid around $140 for it. Works pretty good.

meneerguus said:
Hello,

Anyone?

you have to buy all the sprockets separatly from, for example, mavic or miche and use their spacers. shimano sprockets with campa 10s spacers, that's the only way to do it.

boudreaux said:
Really?? Even cog widths are different.

depending on which sprockets you use, you need a spacer. with mavic for example, using a M10 body with black 10s spacers you have to take the supplied spacer off when using campa, with shimano you leave it on.

Thanks a lot so far!

The wheels Inc. option also looks interesting.

Using individual "shimano" sprockets with other rings has the disadvantage that the smallest sprocket moves ~2mm more to the right. Might it not give difficulties fastening this sprocket? In any case, it would necessitate to adjust my rear derailleur every time...

I was just thinking...
Isn't is possible to move the biggest sprocket more to the left of the cassette body? E.g. by taking off the sprockets from a 9speed shimano cassette spider, reducing the "ring" distance on the spider to campy 10s spacing, as well as taking off 2mm at the left side, and bolt the sprockets on again. (Is this the American classic way?)

meneerguus said:
Thanks a lot so far!

The wheels Inc. option also looks interesting.

Using individual "shimano" sprockets with other rings has the disadvantage that the smallest sprocket moves ~2mm more to the right. Might it not give difficulties fastening this sprocket? In any case, it would necessitate to adjust my rear derailleur every time...

I was just thinking...
Isn't is possible to move the biggest sprocket more to the left of the cassette body? E.g. by taking off the sprockets from a 9speed shimano cassette spider, reducing the "ring" distance on the spider to campy 10s spacing, as well as taking off 2mm at the left side, and bolt the sprockets on again. (Is this the American classic way?)

you can order a campa cassette body directly from www.carbonsports.de

fixit said:
you can order a campa cassette body directly from www.carbonsports.de

Thanks, but I did already check this option.

According to Stefan Behrens (General manager CarbonSports) "There is no way of changing the shimano hubs to Campagnolo." The new DT-Swiss hubs they now use for all standard Lightweights have indeed an interchangeable cassette body. But they will cost a lot more than the 450Euros I paid for the wheel set... :)

Regards!

meneerguus said:
Thanks, but I did already check this option.

According to Stefan Behrens (General manager CarbonSports) "There is no way of changing the shimano hubs to Campagnolo." The new DT-Swiss hubs they now use for all standard Lightweights have indeed an interchangeable cassette body. But they will cost a lot more than the 450Euros I paid for the wheel set... :)

Regards!

i'm interested in what carbonsports' solution to this problem is.

cheers

From what I understand, you have to change out the freewheel hub. I wantede to build a bike with Campy and use my existing Mavic SL's which I have been riding with Shimano. The bike shop told me the only way to put a Campy cassette on, would be change out the hub.

OCRoadie said:
From what I understand, you have to change out the freewheel hub. I wantede to build a bike with Campy and use my existing Mavic SL's which I have been riding with Shimano. The bike shop told me the only way to put a Campy cassette on, would be change out the hub.

i suppose you mean the freewheel body, not the hub. but with mavic wheels there is another possibility, check out

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-tech?lg=uk

obviously this is not possible with older lightweight wheels, as meneerguus stated above. with lightweight wheels, hub, spokes and rim are one piece! very, very cool!!!

I run a shimano 10s cassette on my chorus equipped colnago and its works perfectly, thats on an ultegra hub.Could always get one of the new ultegra cassettes and try that as they arent too expensive either.

fixit said:
i suppose you mean the freewheel body, not the hub. but with mavic wheels there is another possibility, check out

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-tech?lg=uk

obviously this is not possible with older lightweight wheels, as meneerguus stated above. with lightweight wheels, hub, spokes and rim are one piece! very, very cool!!!
Fix It-
I stand corrected, I did mean the freewheel body, not the hub.