Shimano Hubs and Campy 10s

m&m

Guest
Converting to campy 10s. Getting a new campy rear wheel - but have
some old shimano wheels that I'd like to still be able to use as
well.

For a shimano hub with campy 10s, what do people have experience with
working best:
1. Shimano 10s cassette
2. American Classic 10s conversion cassette
3. Other?

Thanks, M

On Nov 26, 8:41 am, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Converting to campy 10s. Getting a new campy rear wheel - but have
> some old shimano wheels that I'd like to still be able to use as
> well.
>
> For a shimano hub with campy 10s, what do people have experience with
> working best:
> 1. Shimano 10s cassette
> 2. American Classic 10s conversion cassette
> 3. Other?
>
> Thanks, M

I haven't tried a Shimano 10s cassette, but I have used a SRAM 9s
cassette and the AmClas 10s conversion cassette with Campy 10s setups.
The SRAM shifted better. Both were 12-25, but the AmClas had a 16t,
and the SRAM didn't. This was using a Wipperman 5.9mm (Shimano 10s)
chain.

"m&m" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Converting to campy 10s. Getting a new campy rear wheel - but have
> some old shimano wheels that I'd like to still be able to use as
> well.
>
> For a shimano hub with campy 10s, what do people have experience with
> working best:
> 1. Shimano 10s cassette
> 2. American Classic 10s conversion cassette
> 3. Other?
>
> Thanks, M

Shiftmate from Jtek is the most elegant solution for mixing Campagnolo and
Shimano IMO.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Tim McTeague

On Nov 27, 2:59 am, "Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Converting to campy 10s. Getting a new campy rear wheel - but have
> > some old shimano wheels that I'd like to still be able to use as
> > well.

> > For a shimano hub with campy 10s, what do people have experience with
> > working best:
> > 1. Shimano 10s cassette
> > 2. American Classic 10s conversion cassette
> > 3. Other?

> > Thanks, M

> Shiftmate from Jtek is the most elegant solution for mixing Campagnolo and
> Shimano IMO.
>
> http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
>
> Tim McTeague

OP only wants to use these wheels occasionally, it sounds like.
Probably not an ideal solution if he or she wants to switch back and
forth.

(besides, is a pulley sticking out the back of a fine Campagnolo RD
really "elegant?")

exactly - only looking for occ use as a backup wheelset.

lots of opinions, but that's just what I found when searching old
postings. some like the ac conversion cassette, others say the 10s
shimano is close enough, others say nothing works as well as the campy
cassette and to not bother with the others. sram is mentioned once in
a while as an option.

any consensus?

thanks, m

On Nov 27, 10:19 pm, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:
> exactly - only looking for occ use as a backup wheelset.
>
> lots of opinions, but that's just what I found when searching old
> postings. some like the ac conversion cassette, others say the 10s
> shimano is close enough, others say nothing works as well as the campy
> cassette and to not bother with the others. sram is mentioned once in
> a while as an option.
>
> any consensus?
>
> thanks, m

I think the consensus is that you have many options. Campy says only
use Campy because they want to sell you Campy parts. Jtek says you can
mix & match, but only with a ShiftMate, becuase they want to sell you
a ShiftMate. American Classic & Wheels Mfg. want to sell you
conversion cassettes, and Shimano and SRAM want you to convert to
purebred drivetrains by them. Loads of gearheads have experimented and
found FrankenBike combos that work to varying degrees. They're not
looking for anything but maybe an ego boost.

I got the idea that SRAM/Shimano 9- and 10-speed cassettes work with
C10 setups from Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo here at
RBT), and all he's gaining from sharing that knowledge is some good
will for his shop, so I tend to trust that kind of advice.

So the only consensus you're going to find is that you have many
options.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:31:18 -0800 (PST), Hank Wirtz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I got the idea that SRAM/Shimano 9- and 10-speed cassettes work with
>C10 setups from Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo here at
>RBT), and all he's gaining from sharing that knowledge is some good
>will for his shop, so I tend to trust that kind of advice.
>
>So the only consensus you're going to find is that you have many
>options.

On one of my bicycles, I use an 8sp Campy rear derailleur and Shimano
cassettes. The older, Campy rear derailleurs, the ones with the "B"
tension screw, move a bit less with a click of the shifter, about 3.9
mm, and that's perfect for Shimano 10.

I have great luck using Shimano 9 with Campy 10. A Shimano 12/27
lacks only 16t cog and I don't miss it.

On Nov 28, 9:31 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 10:19 pm, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > exactly - only looking for occ use as a backup wheelset.

> > lots of opinions, but that's just what I found when searching old
> > postings. some like the ac conversion cassette, others say the 10s
> > shimano is close enough, others say nothing works as well as the campy
> > cassette and to not bother with the others. sram is mentioned once in
> > a while as an option.

> > any consensus?

> > thanks, m

> I think the consensus is that you have many options. Campy says only
> use Campy because they want to sell you Campy parts. Jtek says you can
> mix & match, but only with a ShiftMate, becuase they want to sell you
> a ShiftMate. American Classic & Wheels Mfg. want to sell you
> conversion cassettes, and Shimano and SRAM want you to convert to
> purebred drivetrains by them. Loads of gearheads have experimented and
> found FrankenBike combos that work to varying degrees. They're not
> looking for anything but maybe an ego boost.
>
> I got the idea that SRAM/Shimano 9- and 10-speed cassettes work with
> C10 setups from Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo here at
> RBT), and all he's gaining from sharing that knowledge is some good
> will for his shop, so I tend to trust that kind of advice.
>
> So the only consensus you're going to find is that you have many
> options.

Thanks. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Love to have
options!

Will give the SRAM a try.

On Nov 28, 4:10 pm, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 9:31 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 27, 10:19 pm, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > exactly - only looking for occ use as a backup wheelset.

> > > lots of opinions, but that's just what I found when searching old
> > > postings. some like the ac conversion cassette, others say the 10s
> > > shimano is close enough, others say nothing works as well as the campy
> > > cassette and to not bother with the others. sram is mentioned once in
> > > a while as an option.

> > > any consensus?

> > > thanks, m

> > I think the consensus is that you have many options. Campy says only
> > use Campy because they want to sell you Campy parts. Jtek says you can
> > mix & match, but only with a ShiftMate, becuase they want to sell you
> > a ShiftMate. American Classic & Wheels Mfg. want to sell you
> > conversion cassettes, and Shimano and SRAM want you to convert to
> > purebred drivetrains by them. Loads of gearheads have experimented and
> > found FrankenBike combos that work to varying degrees. They're not
> > looking for anything but maybe an ego boost.

> > I got the idea that SRAM/Shimano 9- and 10-speed cassettes work with
> > C10 setups from Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo here at
> > RBT), and all he's gaining from sharing that knowledge is some good
> > will for his shop, so I tend to trust that kind of advice.

> > So the only consensus you're going to find is that you have many
> > options.

> Thanks. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Love to have
> options!
>
> Will give the SRAM a try.
>
> M- Hide quoted text -

If you use a 9-speed, remember to set the limit screw to lock out the
last click, so you don't shift past the last cog and into the spokes.

On Nov 28, 12:19 am, "m&m" <[email protected]> wrote:
> exactly - only looking for occ use as a backup wheelset.
>
> lots of opinions, but that's just what I found when searching old
> postings. some like the ac conversion cassette, others say the 10s
> shimano is close enough, others say nothing works as well as the campy
> cassette and to not bother with the others. sram is mentioned once in
> a while as an option.

I conferred with someone recently on a related topic (using a Shimano
10 rear wheel, to build a new wheel with lower spoke count than Campy
hubs make possible, in a Campy 10 bike)-- which conversion cassette,
or hub, such as DT, was recommended, any combination. At issue was
being able to change wheels without adjusting limit screws or shifter
cables. His experience was, even different model hubs from the same
mfg. can be a "problem".

(obvious dept) Try what you have and see what's what. Borrow a wheel
or two for experimentation if possible. "What-ever"-- sell the old
wheels and buy something that fits, etc. etc.

For me, this is my wife's new bike and I'm just going to use Campy,
and the same model (Centaur) hub, and hope for the best <g>.
--D-y