Shimano hubs re-spaced for Campy

S. Bourne

Guest
My "hack" bike runs 8spd Mirage ergopower levers that are aging. I have been reading of 9 speed
conversions and am going that direction when the Mirage levers finally die. I believe that my
rear derrailleur will need to be swapped to newer 9spd Campy as well, no? I run a Shimano 8 speed
cassette respaced for campy...it has worked like a dream. Anybody seen a spacer kit to run
shimano 9spd re-spaced for campy? I just don't want to have to buy a campy rear hub just
now...sorry campy purists!

STB-<< My "hack" bike runs 8spd Mirage ergopower levers that are aging. I have been reading of 9
speed conversions and am going that direction when the Mirage levers finally die. I believe that my
rear derrailleur will need to be swapped to newer 9spd Campy as well, no?

No, as long as it's not worn out, it will work fine.

<< Anybody seen a spacer kit to run shimano 9spd re-spaced for campy?

just put on a shimano 9s cogset and chain, that also will ork fine w/o spacers.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:39:34 GMT, "S. Bourne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My "hack" bike runs 8spd Mirage ergopower levers that are aging. I have been reading of 9 speed
>conversions and am going that direction when the Mirage levers finally die.

I don't know how you define die for the shifters. When you disassemble the lever to replace the "G"
springs, you'll have the 8sp shift disk in your hand. When you reassemble you just put the 9sp disk
in and you are 9sp. If you think about the cost of the disk, the springs for right and left levers,
hoods, and cables, you might as well get new 9sp Mirage shifters.

I believe that my rear derrailleur will need to be
>swapped to newer 9spd Campy as well, no? I run a Shimano 8 speed cassette respaced for campy...it
>has worked like a dream. Anybody seen a spacer kit to run shimano 9spd re-spaced for campy? I just
>don't want to have to buy a campy rear hub just now...sorry campy purists!

You don't need a 9 sp rear derailleur. Your 8sp one works fine. You put on your 9sp cassette and
adjust the derailleur stops, which will differ little from where the 8sp stops were set.

Adjust the tension in the rear derailleur. Because the spacing is not perfect, adjusting the tension
requires a bit more precision. I've been successful by using 2 points of allignment. On the stand,
the chain should not jump right up from the smallest to 2nd cog. It struggles a little and you have
to hold your finger on the shift paddle. It will shift fine under load. Second, put your chain on
the 2nd rng and the next to largest cog. Increase the tension 'til the rear derailleur makes noise
as it wants to go to the largest cog. Decrease the tension about ½ to ¼ turn.

"S. Bourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My "hack" bike runs 8spd Mirage ergopower levers that are aging. I have
been
> reading of 9 speed conversions and am going that direction when the Mirage levers finally die. I
> believe that my rear derrailleur will need to be swapped to newer 9spd Campy as well, no? I run a
> Shimano 8 speed cassette respaced for campy...it has worked like a dream. Anybody seen a spacer
kit
> to run shimano 9spd re-spaced for campy? I just don't want to have to buy
> campy rear hub just now...sorry campy purists!

You can rebuild your levers with a nine speed shift ring and a set of springs then just slip a SRAM
or Shimano nine cassette on your present wheel. You derailleur will be fine as is but get a chain.