Shimano instructions different in different languages?

John Forrest To

Guest
Well, maybe not different in meaning but different in presentation. I was looking at the
instructions for an Ultegra rear derailleur and noticed the English language instructions have a
different set of illustrations than the other languages. Which seems odd.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Also sprach John Forrest Tomlinson:

> Well, maybe not different in meaning but different in presentation. I was looking at the
> instructions for an Ultegra rear derailleur and noticed the English language instructions have a
> different set of

I can top that! Back in '75 I visited a friend who lived in Belgium, and while there I had to fix a
flat in a moped tire. He had a made in West Germany patch kit with instructions in several
languages.

In most of the languages, there were 6 instructions.

However, the French instructions, in this German patch kit had 7 steps, the first being "make sure
your hands are clean."

Sheldon "Old Prejudices Die Hard" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| Civility costs nothing, and buys everything. | --Lady Mary Wortley Montagu |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

> Also sprach John Forrest Tomlinson:
>
> > Well, maybe not different in meaning but different in presentation. I was looking at the
> > instructions for an Ultegra rear derailleur and noticed the English language instructions have a
> > different set of
>
> I can top that! Back in '75 I visited a friend who lived in Belgium, and while there I had to fix
> a flat in a moped tire. He had a made in West Germany patch kit with instructions in several
> languages.
>
> In most of the languages, there were 6 instructions.
>
> However, the French instructions, in this German patch kit had 7 steps, the first being "make sure
> your hands are clean."

I liked that. On a path in the mountains near here (Sydney, Australia) is a great multilingual sign
- have a look at this: http://www4.tpg.com.au/undy/sign.jpg

I can't understand any of the Asian languages, but I'm pretty sure that the English bit isn't a
translation.

The graffiti on the sign is apparently a Norwegian or Swedish translation of the
Japanese/Chinese etc.

Andy

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> However, the French instructions, in this German patch kit had 7 steps, the first being "make sure
> your hands are clean."
>
> Sheldon "Old Prejudices Die Hard" Brown +------------------------------------------------+

Homer Simpson : "But Marge, I've been out in the treehouse for all of two hours and I'm already as
dirty as a frenchman".

--
Walter Mitty.