Shimano LX shifter and BL from 1995

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Iggy Peuterbaug, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Ate a little dirt today and tore up my shifter. Couldn't find the missing parts.

    My bike is a 1995 Proflex 8 speed with cantilever brakes. The brakes are Shimano LX as well as the
    shifter assemblies. The shifters screw into the brake levers.

    Problem: to the best of my knowledge, cantilever brakes require a different lever than V brakes. I
    would like to buy a replacement shifter (LX preferably) but am not sure if the new parts will screw
    into the brake levers. I don't know if I can find a new shifter/brake lever combo that is compatible
    with cantilever. It's hard enough to find 8 speed compatible. Am I seeing this correctly? Any
    solutions?

    Any input is appreciated.

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    You now have an excuse to buy a new bike...... Unless there is sentimental attachments.

    Jeremy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:
    > Problem: to the best of my knowledge, cantilever brakes require a different lever than V brakes. I
    > would like to buy a replacement shifter (LX preferably) but am not sure if the new parts will
    > screw into the brake levers. I don't know if I can find a new shifter/brake lever combo that is
    > compatible with cantilever. It's hard enough to find 8 speed compatible. Am I seeing this
    > correctly? Any solutions?
    >
    > Any input is appreciated.

    No chance on getting new parts that will fit into the brake levers unless your lucky and some dealer
    has spare parts hiding away somewhere.

    There is plenty of low to mid-end gear outthere where the the brake lever's can be set for either
    canti or V-brakes. Fx. Tektro or cheap shimano stuff, on the other hand a cheap set of v-brakes
    (brake and lever) can be had for only a few bucks and will be a great upgrade.

    Remember quality trickles downwards and fx. todays Shimano Deore series is just as good and perhaphs
    better than XT was a few years ago, so even a cheap serie will work as good as the old LX stuff.

    Hope this helps.

    Bruno, Denmark

  4. You're reading my mind, dude.

    Specialized Stumpjumper. I'm trying to locate one right now.

    Anyone want to buy a Proflex 856? Just needs a shifter.

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You now have an excuse to buy a new bike...... Unless there is
    sentimental
    > attachments.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ate a little dirt today and tore up my shifter. Couldn't find the
    missing
    > > parts.
    > >
    > > My bike is a 1995 Proflex 8 speed with cantilever brakes. The brakes
    are
    > > Shimano LX as well as the shifter assemblies. The shifters screw into
    the
    > > brake levers.
    > >
    > > Problem: to the best of my knowledge, cantilever brakes require a
    > different
    > > lever than V brakes. I would like to buy a replacement shifter (LX preferably) but am not sure
    > > if the new parts will screw into the brake levers. I don't know if I can find a new
    > > shifter/brake lever combo that
    > is
    > > compatible with cantilever. It's hard enough to find 8 speed
    compatible.
    > > Am I seeing this correctly? Any solutions?
    > >
    > > Any input is appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    No better time upgrade then now, even that rear shock.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ate a little dirt today and tore up my shifter. Couldn't find the missing parts.
    >
    > My bike is a 1995 Proflex 8 speed with cantilever brakes. The brakes are Shimano LX as well as the
    > shifter assemblies. The shifters screw into the brake levers.
    >
    > Problem: to the best of my knowledge, cantilever brakes require a different lever than V brakes. I
    > would like to buy a replacement shifter (LX preferably) but am not sure if the new parts will
    > screw into the brake levers. I don't know if I can find a new shifter/brake lever combo that is
    > compatible with cantilever. It's hard enough to find 8 speed compatible. Am I seeing this
    > correctly? Any solutions?
    >
    > Any input is appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    Where do you live,Iggy? I live in the UK and if you send me a stamped addressed jiffy bag you can
    have a free sti rapidfire+ LX canti brake lever with integrated 8 speed shifter from my "I really
    ought to throw this stuff out" mound! Pat. Pat

  7. "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ate a little dirt today and tore up my shifter. Couldn't find the
    missing
    > > parts.
    > >
    > > My bike is a 1995 Proflex 8 speed with cantilever brakes. The brakes
    are
    > > Shimano LX as well as the shifter assemblies. The shifters screw into
    the
    > > brake levers.
    > >
    > > Problem: to the best of my knowledge, cantilever brakes require a
    different
    > > lever than V brakes. I would like to buy a replacement shifter (LX preferably) but am not sure
    > > if the new parts will screw into the brake levers. I don't know if I can find a new
    > > shifter/brake lever combo that
    is
    > > compatible with cantilever. It's hard enough to find 8 speed
    compatible.
    > > Am I seeing this correctly? Any solutions?
    > >
    > > Any input is appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > Where do you live,Iggy? I live in the UK and if you send me a stamped addressed jiffy bag you can
    have a
    > free sti rapidfire+ LX canti brake lever with integrated 8 speed shifter
    from my
    > "I really ought to throw this stuff out" mound! Pat. Pat

    Thanks Pat. I live in Florida, USA. But I may have something lined up already.

    The offer is appreciated!