shimano m752 2003 xt crankset noise?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Moon, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Moon

    Moon Guest

    interested in installing, but i am reading alot of stuff about a creaky sound from the cranks. i
    have heard it can be a installation problem or a bb problem

    any comments?

    thank you

    Tags:

  2. "moon" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > interested in installing, but i am reading alot of stuff about a creaky sound from the cranks. i
    > have heard it can be a installation problem or a bb problem

    My XT crankset is creaking too :-( Ive tried everything, greased EVERYTHING, but it still creaks.
    The creaking comes from both sides. I have greased the ring bolts to, but it still creaks.

    The problem with shimanos crankset is that you cant change BB brand, because it uses octalink, so
    you are "doomed" to use the XT octalink BB. I runs very smooth, but creaks.(I think)

    when its wet, it doesnt seem to creak as much as when its dry?

    Yesterday i soaked the whole crank in oil, used a compressor to blow it "dry" and then wiped the
    surfaces with a rag. It doesnt seem to creak now, but for how long?

    I dont know if its the BB or crankset thats the creaky part´.

    I would go for a RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS Splined crankset. Its the same price as the XT and has
    better rings and you can choose a better BB :)

    Peet DK

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Peter Tønnesen" <[email protected]***privat.dk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "moon" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > > interested in installing, but i am reading alot of stuff about a creaky sound from the cranks. i
    > > have heard it can be a installation problem or
    > > bb problem
    >
    > My XT crankset is creaking too :-( Ive tried everything, greased
    EVERYTHING,
    > but it still creaks. The creaking comes from both sides. I have greased
    the
    > ring bolts to, but it still creaks.
    >
    > The problem with shimanos crankset is that you cant change BB brand,
    because
    > it uses octalink, so you are "doomed" to use the XT octalink BB. I runs
    very
    > smooth, but creaks.(I think)
    >
    > when its wet, it doesnt seem to creak as much as when its dry?
    >
    > Yesterday i soaked the whole crank in oil, used a compressor to blow it "dry" and then wiped the
    > surfaces with a rag. It doesnt seem to creak now, but for how long?
    >
    > I dont know if its the BB or crankset thats the creaky part´.
    >
    > I would go for a RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS Splined crankset. Its the same price as the XT and has
    > better rings and you can choose a better BB :)

    Have you tried removing the BB from the frame and greasing the BB threads? It's not as common a
    problem as creaking from the crank/axle interface, but it does happen.

    Also I once had a saddle that made a creaking noise. That had me foxed for months till I realised
    the cranks didn't creak when I was out of the saddle ;-)

    Andy Chequer

  4. > Have you tried removing the BB from the frame and greasing the BB threads? It's not as common a
    > problem as creaking from the crank/axle interface,
    but
    > it does happen.

    Yup, my mechanic friend have gone through that and its all greased up :)

    > Also I once had a saddle that made a creaking noise. That had me foxed for months till I realised
    > the cranks didn't creak when I was out of the
    saddle
    > ;-)

    The saddle will eventually start to creak, either its between frame and seatpost or its the
    seatclamp. Just clean good and re-grease it (NOT CARBON POSTS :)

    The headset can also start to creak.

    I know all the sounds and I hate those sounds, so im doing whatever i can to eliminate them, but so
    far, the XT cranks have been giving me some headache
    :) I better Get some RF Turbine...

    Peet DK

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Peter Tønnesen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > The headset can also start to creak.

    Perhaps it is not my bar-stem junction that is creaking, somebody care to elaborate on the headset
    creaking issue? (never had a creak up front so this is mostly all new to me.) threaded headset BTW,
    for those who don't recall.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/