Shimano "megarange" hubs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Guest

Hi, did anyone try to make the 34T "Megarange" Shimano hubs (7 speed in my case) work with an older
    SIS derailer? The LBS tells me this will only work with the newer derailers that have a large bottom
    jockey wheel, but they never actually tried it with an old derailer.

Thanks - Franck

Tags:

2. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"John" <[email protected]nowhere.nospam> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Hi, did anyone try to make the 34T "Megarange" Shimano hubs (7 speed in my case) work with an
    | older SIS derailer? The LBS tells me this will only
    work
    | with the newer derailers that have a large bottom jockey wheel, but they never actually tried it
    | with an old derailer.

It works fine. In fact, you can actually put that pretty jockey wheel on even the oldest derailleurs
    (I've had them on some older XT units.) You just don't want to use a "GS" (shorter cage) derailleur.

My tandem has a 34 tooth cog (on a custom-stack cassette, not the megarange - I didn't want it
    making that 24 to 34 tooth jump) and an old 7s era Deore LX rear derailleur with no other
    modifications and it shifts perfectly.

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 -
    Release Date: 4/24/2003

3. John

John Guest

You mean I do need to put the largest jockey wheel in though? I don't care for the 24-34 jump
    either, but this is a kids bike with a freewheel hub and this is the only solution I found to
    install lower gears at a reasonnable cost. Couldn't find a chainring replacement that didn't require
    replacing the whole crankset.

Thanks!

Franck

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | Hi, did anyone try to make the 34T "Megarange" Shimano hubs (7 speed in
    my
    > | case) work with an older SIS derailer? The LBS tells me this will only
    > work
    > | with the newer derailers that have a large bottom jockey wheel, but they never actually tried it
    > | with an old derailer.
    >
    > It works fine. In fact, you can actually put that pretty jockey wheel on even the oldest
    > derailleurs (I've had them on some older XT units.) You just don't want to use a "GS" (shorter
    > cage) derailleur.
    >
    > My tandem has a 34 tooth cog (on a custom-stack cassette, not the megarange - I didn't want it
    > making that 24 to 34 tooth jump) and an old
    7s
    > era Deore LX rear derailleur with no other modifications and it shifts perfectly.
    >
    >
    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com
    >
    > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273
    > - Release Date: 4/24/2003

4. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

John wrote:
    > Hi, did anyone try to make the 34T "Megarange" Shimano hubs (7 speed in my case) work with an
    > older SIS derailer? The LBS tells me this will only work with the newer derailers that have a
    > large bottom jockey wheel, but they never actually tried it with an old derailer.
    >
    > Thanks - Franck
    >
    >

I used one with an old Alivio. Worked great.

David

5. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | You mean I do need to put the largest jockey wheel in though? I don't care for the 24-34 jump
    | either, but this is a kids bike with a freewheel hub
    and
    | this is the only solution I found to install lower gears at a reasonnable cost. Couldn't find a
    | chainring replacement that didn't require replacing the whole crankset.

Nah, I think the big pulley wheels are just to look pretty. The change from 10 tooth to 11 tooth did
    make sense as it slowed wear and tear on the wheel itself.

Low end (and kid's bikes always use the lower end) cranks always are pressed, swaged or riveted
    together. As long as you use a long cage RD, then you're fine.

Consider, though, that you can get that pretty Tourney 7s SIS RD for about $14-$18.

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 -
    Release Date: 4/24/2003

6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi, did anyone try to make the 34T "Megarange" Shimano hubs (7 speed in my case) work with an
    > older SIS derailer? The LBS tells me this will only work with the newer derailers that have a
    > large bottom jockey wheel, but they never actually tried it with an old derailer.
    >
    > Thanks - Franck
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes I've put them on bikes with older derailleurs and it works but if you don't have a b-adjustment
    screw you may have to love with the top jockey wheel riding on the teeth of the big cog and making a
    nasty sound.
    --

7. John

John Guest

Thanks for all the replies! I have the hub, I just need the freewheel tool to install it and if it
    doesn't work well I will get a new RD online.

Franck

8. Technician

Technician Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Thanks for all the replies! I have the hub, I just need the freewheel tool to install it and if it
    > doesn't work well I will get a new RD online.
    >
    > Franck
    >
    >
    >

Freewheels are installed by simply spinning them on hand tight. then loop the chain over, put it in
    the granny gear and stand on the pedal while holding the rear brake to wind it into place. the rear
    derailer may need re-adjustment.

The freewheel tool is only needed to take it off.

~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer
    (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

9. John

John Guest

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says... ... The
    > freewheel tool is only needed to take it off.

Precisely -) It did come off easily with the right tool, the new freewheel is installed and works
    great. The derailer doesn't have a b-adjustment screw but with the right chain length the jockey
    wheel just clears the large sprocket (at least when pedalling forward).

Franck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.