Shimano Mountain Shifters with Road Derailleurs

ericnval

Jan 10, 2004
Does anyone out there know if I can use Shimano road derailleurs with their mountain bike shifters? Do their mountain and road derailleurs have the same cable travel characteristics?

Originally posted by ericnval
Does anyone out there know if I can use Shimano road derailleurs with their mountain bike shifters? Do their mountain and road derailleurs have the same cable travel characteristics?
Rear works ok. Shimano claims incompatibility of front derailer.Some people get them to work ok. Shimano also offers flat bar shifters/FD for road bikes, and that flat bar FD should also work with mtb shifters.

Thanks. Looks like I am stuck with their new Front Derailleur for flat bars since I have a road crank. The mountain derailleurs don't accomodate the larger chainring sizes of road cranks.

ericnval,

I put mtn. bars and shifters on my road bike w/out any problems. Shimano Ultegra front deraileur, LX rear, mtn. cassette, and LX shifter/brakes with a road crank. The travel distances are the same since the cassettes are totally interchangeable. It's an 8 speed by the way and I love it!

good luck,
Tim