Shimano MTB -) 10 Speed?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark \, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    So I've just noticed that Shimano's latest Dura-Ace offering
    is a 10 speed setup. I sure hope they don't have any plans
    to send the better mtb groupsets down the same avenue any
    time soon. Surely we've got close enough ratios on 9 speed?
    Too close in many situations I'd say. Would be hard to take
    another groupset revamp which rendered us all incompatible.

    Anyone got the inside word on this issue?

    Here's hoping that the riders at Shimano over-rule the
    accountants on this one....

    --
    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > I sure hope they don't have any plans to send the better
    > mtb groupsets down the same avenue any time soon.

    So do I.

    > Surely we've got close enough ratios on 9 speed?

    Absolutely, but I think they will do it any how to earn
    more. Just look at the dual control. It is totally
    uneccesary. I am not saying it is bad but it is not any
    better than rapidfire.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  3. Mark \UK\ says:

    >So I've just noticed that Shimano's latest Dura-Ace
    >offering is a 10 speed setup.

    Get a singlespeed, Dood.....

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Mark \UK\ says:
    >
    >> So I've just noticed that Shimano's latest Dura-Ace
    >> offering is a 10 speed setup.
    >
    > Get a singlespeed, Dood.....

    Who coulda' seen that one coming?

    Matt

  5. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > Here's hoping that the riders at Shimano over-rule the
    > accountants on this one....

    MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!

    I wish 8-speed was still the standard...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:%[email protected]

    >> Here's hoping that the riders at Shimano over-rule the
    >> accountants on this one....
    >
    > MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    > problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    > SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!
    >
    > I wish 8-speed was still the standard...

    Yep! I like mine :)

  7. Tetsuo Shima

    Tetsuo Shima Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > > Here's hoping that the riders at Shimano over-rule the
    > > accountants on
    this
    > > one....
    >
    > MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    > problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    > SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!
    >
    > I wish 8-speed was still the standard...
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    I thought that the 10 speed cassettes were meant for road
    racing bikes and not MTB's. Consider if you will the
    differences between the gear changes, they have to be
    fractional. If the difference between the gears was too
    large you could imagine the problems they'd have putting
    extreme force into the peddling and changing gears. The
    difference between the first and last gear would be very
    small, so it's more of a progressive gearchange, kinda like
    when driving on an automatic box, good for acceleration and
    all that. So tbh it really wouldn't be a good idea to put 10
    speeds on MTB's due to the fact of the differences between
    the high and low gears, either you'd have to change the
    geometry of the rear mech or squeeze the cassette and narrow
    the chain even more and make that more prone to stress or
    even widen the rear wheel mounts. I think a lot of thought
    must have gone into actually using 9 speeds, 10 speeds would
    defo be overkill.

  8. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Tetsuo Shima wrote: <snip>
    > I think a lot of thought must have gone into actually
    > using 9 speeds, 10 speeds would defo be overkill.

    Isn't that what they used to say about eight speed
    cassettes?

    Matt

  9. Tetsuo Shima

    Tetsuo Shima Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tetsuo Shima wrote: <snip>
    > > I think a lot of thought must have gone into actually
    > > using 9 speeds, 10 speeds would defo be overkill.
    >
    > Isn't that what they used to say about eight speed
    > cassettes?
    >
    > Matt

    It's hard to implement though, pretty much everything would
    need to be changed, it's not worth the cost right now,
    especially when the 9speeds have actually become available
    to the "everyday MTB'er".

  10. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    Tetsuo Shima wrote:
    > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >>> Here's hoping that the riders at Shimano over-rule the
    >>> accountants on this one....
    >>
    >> MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    >> problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    >> SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!
    >>
    >> I wish 8-speed was still the standard...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >>

    > I thought that the 10 speed cassettes were meant for road
    > racing bikes and not MTB's.

    Currently yeah. The point is whether they may have ideas in
    the pipeline to commute 10 speed to some MTB groupsets in
    the future.

    > I think a lot of thought must have gone into actually
    > using 9 speeds

    only in that 9 is 8+1, as indeed 8 was 7+1...

    Don't get me wrong, my best bike is 9 speed and i am very
    happy with it, it performs in most situations better than my
    7 speed mtb. I just fail to see how taking it one speed
    further can benefit mtb'ers.

    Let's just hope it doesn't happen then.

  11. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    Tetsuo Shima wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> Tetsuo Shima wrote: <snip>
    >>> I think a lot of thought must have gone into actually
    >>> using 9 speeds, 10 speeds would defo be overkill.
    >>
    >> Isn't that what they used to say about eight speed
    >> cassettes?
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    > It's hard to implement though, pretty much everything
    > would need to be changed,

    so same as the 8 -> 9 increase then?

  12. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Mark (UK) wrote:
    > Tetsuo Shima wrote:
    >> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:%[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    >>> problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    >>> SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!
    >>>
    >>> I wish 8-speed was still the standard...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >>>

    >> I thought that the 10 speed cassettes were meant for road
    >> racing bikes and not MTB's.
    >
    > Currently yeah. The point is whether they may have ideas
    > in the pipeline to commute 10 speed to some MTB groupsets
    > in the future.
    >
    >> I think a lot of thought must have gone into actually
    >> using 9 speeds
    >
    > only in that 9 is 8+1, as indeed 8 was 7+1...
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, my best bike is 9 speed and i am very
    > happy with it, it performs in most situations better than
    > my 7 speed mtb. I just fail to see how taking it one speed
    > further can benefit mtb'ers.
    >
    > Let's just hope it doesn't happen then.

    If it worked well (big if there) it might be cool to do a
    1x10 setup with just one ring in front. I've thought about
    doing this with a 1x9 but then just decided to go all the
    way and get a 1x1 instead.

    Sort of makes me think of Nigel from Spinal Tap explianing
    that his amp is "One loudah.". Cassettes that "go to 11"
    can't be far off now...

    Matt

  13. Tetsuo Shima

    Tetsuo Shima Guest

    "Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tetsuo Shima wrote:
    > > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > >> Tetsuo Shima wrote: <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Isn't that what they used to say about eight speed
    > >> cassettes?
    > >>
    > >> Matt
    > >>

    > > It's hard to implement though, pretty much everything
    > > would need to be changed,
    >
    > so same as the 8 -> 9 increase then?

    I would imagine so.

  14. Jjg

    Jjg Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:22:05 +0100, "Mark \(UK\)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tetsuo Shima wrote:
    >> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:%[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> MTB trannys are more susceptible to gunk/mud/crud
    >>> problems... 10-speed shifting can only scream GHOST
    >>> SHIFTING... PERMANENTLY!!!
    >>>
    >>> I wish 8-speed was still the standard...

    I was in My LBS last week and they had a Brand new 2004
    Norco , that came with an 8 speed.