Shimano Nexave Megarange

manuel aceves

Aug 8, 2003
Hi All !

I have a Lemond bicycle with Shimano Ultegra components with double crank , I wanted to install a larger rear cassette that allowed me to have more options for climbing hills , so I bought a shimano cassette (nexave megarange )11-34 teeth that was advretised as for road bike use.
Now that I have been reaserching a little bit more I find that this might not be compatible for road use but only for Mountain bike.

Does any of you know if this will fit my Ultegra components if not i would return it ?

My bike also has narrow chain so I don't know if this will help or Do I have to change the rear derrailur ??

If not what will be the largest cassette that I can use without having to modify anything.

Hope any of you can help me.

Manuel Aceves

In order to get the 11-34 cassette to work, you will need to get a new rear derailleur and a longer chain. The short cage Ultegra derailleur probably won't shift into the largest cog. The medium cage XTR M952 GS works great with Ultegra STI Shifters. I have a 12-34 XT cassette with the XTR M952 GS rear derailleur and the Ultegra STI shifters, and it works great. I have a double up front too.

I am not sure why, but the Shimano technical support guy recommended to the guy that built my bike that rapid rise rear derailleurs, such as the M953 and M960, not be used with road bike STI shifters.

If you change your rear derailleur, get the medium gage or GS. The super long cage or SGS is for triple cranks. I think that XT and XTR are the only mountain bike derailleurs with the medium cage option. I have no experience with using the XT rear derailleur, but more than one person warned me that it doesn’t work as well with STI shifters as the XTR M952 GS.