shimano nexus 8 hub gear

In rec.bicycles.tech Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:

> Never shift under load - no bicycle gears are made to be changed whilst
> putting lots of power through the chain. Slacken off briefly until the
> change is made and then stomp on the power. If you think it's the gears,

In general I'm pretty a remembering to ease off during upshifts, sometimes
I forget.

> get a mechanic to do a test ride - if it's shifting fine the problem is you
> abusing the poor bike ;)

The mechanic did a test ride, adjusted the shift linkage and said a
certain amount of slippage was to be expected. He seemed to imply that
as long as the slips were "single" steps and not repeated it was
normal.

It must be a rather fussy adjustment, set by trial and error (or is it
trial _by_ error?) not just the marks on the shift spool. Whatever he
did, it cut the incidence of slips to about half what I had before.

bob prohaska

bob prohaska's usenet account wrote:
> In general I'm pretty a remembering to ease off during upshifts, sometimes
> I forget.

(MT)
>> get a mechanic to do a test ride - if it's shifting fine the problem is you
>> abusing the poor bike ;)

(BP)
> The mechanic did a test ride, adjusted the shift linkage and said a
> certain amount of slippage was to be expected. He seemed to imply that
> as long as the slips were "single" steps and not repeated it was
> normal.
> It must be a rather fussy adjustment, set by trial and error (or is it
> trial _by_ error?) not just the marks on the shift spool. Whatever he
> did, it cut the incidence of slips to about half what I had before.

I for one do not believe missed shifts or skipping is normal or acceptable.

Most shifting problems we've seen center on cable issues, 4mm casing
with plastic ferrules, casing length issues, kinked wires, etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>, bob
prohaska's usenet account
[email protected] says...
> In rec.bicycles.tech Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
> >
> > Never shift under load - no bicycle gears are made to be changed whilst
> > putting lots of power through the chain. Slacken off briefly until the
> > change is made and then stomp on the power. If you think it's the gears,

> In general I'm pretty a remembering to ease off during upshifts, sometimes
> I forget.
>
> > get a mechanic to do a test ride - if it's shifting fine the problem is you
> > abusing the poor bike ;)

> The mechanic did a test ride, adjusted the shift linkage and said a
> certain amount of slippage was to be expected. He seemed to imply that
> as long as the slips were "single" steps and not repeated it was
> normal.

He might want you to believe that, but I think it's really just an
admission that he can't fix it. But I have abolutely no experience with
these hubs so I could be mistaken.

A Muzi said:
> Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
>> Never shift under load - no bicycle gears are made to be changed whilst
>> putting lots of power through the chain. Slacken off briefly until the
>> change is made and then stomp on the power. If you think it's the gears,

bob prohaska's usenet account wrote:
> In general I'm pretty a remembering to ease off during upshifts, sometimes
> I forget.

(MT)
>> get a mechanic to do a test ride - if it's shifting fine the problem is you
>> abusing the poor bike ;)

(BP)
> The mechanic did a test ride, adjusted the shift linkage and said a
> certain amount of slippage was to be expected. He seemed to imply that
> as long as the slips were "single" steps and not repeated it was
> normal.
> It must be a rather fussy adjustment, set by trial and error (or is it
> trial _by_ error?) not just the marks on the shift spool. Whatever he
> did, it cut the incidence of slips to about half what I had before.

I for one do not believe missed shifts or skipping is normal or acceptable.

Most shifting problems we've seen center on cable issues, 4mm casing
with plastic ferrules, casing length issues, kinked wires, etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I agree with Andy on this one. Slippage not acceptable.I sell lots of Nexus 8s, and use one myself. The only shifting issues I have seen centered on one shipment of bikes that came with the no turn washers installed in the wrong sides. They are side specific to provide for correct orientation of the cassette joint. Take it back to your mechanic and suggest he check for that.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, bob
> prohaska's usenet account
> [email protected] says...
> > In rec.bicycles.tech Mark Thompson
> > <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote: >
> > > Never shift under load - no bicycle gears are made to be changed whilst
> > > putting lots of power through the chain. Slacken off briefly until the
> > > change is made and then stomp on the power. If you think it's the gears,

> > In general I'm pretty a remembering to ease off during upshifts, sometimes
> > I forget.
> >
> > > get a mechanic to do a test ride - if it's shifting fine the problem
> > > is you abusing the poor bike ;)

> > The mechanic did a test ride, adjusted the shift linkage and said a
> > certain amount of slippage was to be expected. He seemed to imply that
> > as long as the slips were "single" steps and not repeated it was
> > normal.

> He might want you to believe that, but I think it's really just an
> admission that he can't fix it. But I have abolutely no experience with
> these hubs so I could be mistaken.

i again have no experience with hub gears but that sounds too much like
a excuse, then again i may be overly cinical!

roger