Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

begin quoting hhu <kohi>:
>>[Not that the latter is not a noble aim; but look at the Rohloff for
>>14xcassette in the back rather than 8xcassette...]

>Rohloff costs about $1k. Nexus costs about $250. Do the math...

Either your aim is practical - in which case, use the SRAM 3xn, with a
sensible cassette and front ring selection the range is more than
sufficient for a recumbent drive, and this is quite economical - or your
aim is an amusingly huge number of gears - in which case, use the Rohloff
[1].

Using the Nexus to get a less amusingly huge number for a lower price is
neither maximising practicality nor amusement.

[1] I have no idea if this is actually feasible. I expect not.
Today is Aponoia, February.

David Damerell wrote:
> begin quoting hhu <kohi>:
>
>>>[Not that the latter is not a noble aim; but look at the Rohloff for
>>>14xcassette in the back rather than 8xcassette...]

>>Rohloff costs about $1k. Nexus costs about $250. Do the math...

> Either your aim is practical - in which case, use the SRAM 3xn, with a
> sensible cassette and front ring selection the range is more than
> sufficient for a recumbent drive, and this is quite economical - or your
> aim is an amusingly huge number of gears - in which case, use the Rohloff
> [1].
>
> Using the Nexus to get a less amusingly huge number for a lower price is
> neither maximising practicality nor amusement.
>
> [1] I have no idea if this is actually feasible. I expect not.

Take a Rotator <http://rotatorrecumbent.com/products.html> and use
Rohloff hubs for both the mid-drive and rear hub. Add a triple crank
with a Schlumpf BB.

14x14x6 = 1176 ratios ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

says...

>I do not follow this segment of the market. Why do people want
>an internal geared hub? It seems incredibly complicated. -- Jay

Less maintenance. You can also add a chain box. Since there is less
dish, you end up with a stronger wheel too.
-------------
Alex

>Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:45:34 -0500, Sheldon Brown:
>
>>The Nexus 8 is supposedly more efficent and durable, and better able to
>>withstand shifting under load. It is also heavier, about 1.8 kg.

>You have to distinguish between the "standard" SG-8R20 you sell and the
>more efficient "premium" SG-8R25. The biggest difference is more roller
>bearings instead of slide bearings in the planetary gearings.

The premium hub has a red stripe on teh hub body, so you can easily pick it
out from the standard edition. At interbike the shimano tech guy said the
premium model has the races polished to the same standard as ultegra hubs.
---------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I have this on my Bianchi Milano, works great, very easy to
>shift. Not sure I would want to take one apart, looks complex.

For basic maintenance, it is pretty simple. You pull the insides out of
the shell. Then you can clean and lube the races. That's about all the
routine maintenance you can do. Anything else you send it back to shimano
to fix. Assembling the unit is also straight forward. At Interbike I played
with one and it was easy to work with.
-------------
Alex

> It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally have
> received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.
>
> I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...
>
> See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus
>
> I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8
>
> Sheldon "Planetary Gears!" Brown
> +----------------------------------------------+
> | If you wish in the world to advance, |
> | Your merits you're bound to enhance; |
> | You must stir it, and stump it, |
> | And blow your own trumpet, |
> | Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! |
> | --W.S. Gilbert |
> +----------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

I have a nexus 7sp coaster brake hub with rapidfire shifter set up in a 70s
Ernie Clements ( Brit bike) and I love it. The back pedal brake was, at
first, a bit of a pain but I soon got used to stopping with the pedal
forward of TDC for ease of starting, now I hardly use the rim brakes.
The only worry I have is that the weak point of the system may be the
rapidfire trigger, although I have had no trouble at all with it to date.Is
yours Sheldon OK on your PX10?
I have tried to buy a spare trigger in the uk (tried shimmano) with no
success.
So if the trigger fails It seams that I would have to go for the only
available twist grip changer and covert to straight bars or find an
alternative mounting bar of the smaller diameter.
I would have expected Shimmano to have continued the rapidfire trigger for
a £100 hub, may be they want me to buy the new 8Sp hub? I probably will buy
it with a spare trigger.
PS All the talk of drag I personally don't notice any.

pk

PK wrote:

> I have a nexus 7sp coaster brake hub with rapidfire shifter set up in a 70s
> Ernie Clements ( Brit bike) and I love it. The back pedal brake was, at
> first, a bit of a pain but I soon got used to stopping with the pedal
> forward of TDC for ease of starting, now I hardly use the rim brakes.
> The only worry I have is that the weak point of the system may be the
> rapidfire trigger, although I have had no trouble at all with it to date.Is
> yours Sheldon OK on your PX10?

I occasionally have to fiddle with it to get to upshift.

> I have tried to buy a spare trigger in the uk (tried shimmano) with no
> success.

We've got them, US$34.95 with cable.

Between my Rohloff and my Nexus 8-speed, I'm getting used to twist-grip
shifters, which I didn't like at first.

I had to switch the cables around on the Rohloff last night, to make it
shift in the same direction as the Nexus--otherwise I would have been
hopelessly confused!

Sheldon "Twisted" Brown
| We engaged in innumerable discussions, and often after an hour |
| or so of heated argument, we would discover that we were as far |
| from agreement as when we started, but that both had changed to |
| the other's original position in the discussion.--Orville Wright |