Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by Sheldon Brown, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
    have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

    I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

    See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

    I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

    Sheldon "Planetary Gears!" Brown
    | If you wish in the world to advance, |
    | Your merits you're bound to enhance; |
    | You must stir it, and stump it, |
    | And blow your own trumpet, |
    | Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! |
    | --W.S. Gilbert |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  2. Tom Ace

    Tom Ace Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus
    >
    > I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

    Thanks Sheldon for the info.

    Do you know how many planetary stages the hub has,
    and what combinations of stages are used in each gear?

    Shimano says it has a silent clutch; is there no pawl
    click when coasting?

    Just curious.

    Tom Ace

  3. I wrote:

    >>See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus
    >>
    >>I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:
    >>
    >>http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

    Tom Ace asked:

    > Do you know how many planetary stages the hub has,
    > and what combinations of stages are used in each gear?

    Nope.

    > Shimano says it has a silent clutch; is there no pawl
    > click when coasting?

    I presume not, that's what "Silent Clutch" mean, but I'm still waiting
    for rims to build up my own.

    Sheldon "Gonna Try 650B" Brown
    | All theory, dear friend, is grey, |
    | but the golden tree of actual life |
    | springs ever green. --Goethe |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. Jim Smith

    Jim Smith Guest

  5. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally

    > have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.
    >
    > See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

    Confound it. True to clueless form, Shimano have dished up a heaping
    helping of asymmetrical flange offset on a hub that didn't need to have
    any.

    Another nugget on the towering mountain of reasons not to buy their
    crap-- like I really needed another one.

    Chalo Colina

  6. Chalo wrote:

    > Confound it. True to clueless form, Shimano have dished up a heaping
    > helping of asymmetrical flange offset on a hub that didn't need to have
    > any.

    2.7 mm is a "heaping helping" of asymmetry? Most non-flip-flop hubs
    have at least this much asymmetry.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/28.htm

    Even typical track hubs are more asymmetrical than this, viz:

    Campagnolo 5-13 depending on model,
    Miche at 15,
    Phil Wood at 14 mm,
    Sun Tour at 6 mm.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/spocalc.

    > Another nugget on the towering mountain of reasons not to buy their
    > crap-- like I really needed another one.

    "Crap?" This is the best multi-speed hub you can buy for less than
    $700! Sounds like predjudice to me.

    Sheldon "Millions Of People Say _I_ Exaggerate!" Brown
    | Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, |
    | somewhere, will not hate it. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > "Crap?" This [Nexus-8] is the best multi-speed hub you can buy for less than
    > $700!...

    I wish someone would test the efficiency of the Nexus-8 versus the
    Spectro-7.

    I wonder if SRAM will respond with a "Spectro-8" or "Spectro-9"?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  8. I wrote:

    >>It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
    >>have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.
    >>
    >>I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...
    >>
    >>See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus
    >>
    >>I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:
    >>
    >>http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

    Jim Smith asked:

    > Do they make them without the brake?

    You can leave the brake off. That's what I did with my Nexus 7-speed.

    http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-competition

    If you don't want the brake, we'll knock 15 bucks off the price.

    I haven't yet decided whether I'll go with the brake on my new 8-speed.

    Sheldon "Neck's Us" Brown
    | This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
    | exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
    | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
    | sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
    > have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.
    >
    > I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

    Okay, I've read the Rivendell ode to this rim size, but aside from
    acting as some sort of revivalist preservation of the rim and tire
    standards so future generations can roll along on mid-century French
    bicycles, the attraction is purely aesthetic, right?

    Or is there some advantage to spanning the 559-622 mm interval I haven't
    perceived? Maybe a compromise for 29er-like off road virtues but with
    stronger wheels?

    "ISO 584?"
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jim Smith wrote:
    > Do they make them without the brake?

    SG-8R25, SG-8R20 are 8 speed hubs which can accept a roller
    brake.
    SG-8R25-VS, SG-8R20-VS are the eight hubs which cannot ("VS"
    for "use a V-Brake")

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Besides the extra gear, and the silent clutch, are there any differences
    in terms of perfomance, durabilty and weight between it and the Nexus 7
    hub?

    thanks
    ~PB

  12. Zach

    Zach Guest

    Sheldon:

    I am curious why you are going to lace the Nexus hub to a 650B rim.
    Isn't that an archaic size? Why not use the common 559mm instead?
    Zach Kaplan

  13. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 1 Feb 2005 06:46:05 -0800, "Zach" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sheldon:
    >
    >I am curious why you are going to lace the Nexus hub to a 650B rim.
    >Isn't that an archaic size? Why not use the common 559mm instead?

    Ahhh, but that's what they'd be expecting.

    This is Sheldon "why be normal" Brown we're talking about here.

    Ron

  14. I wrote:

    >>It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
    >>have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.
    >>
    >>I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > Okay, I've read the Rivendell ode to this rim size, but aside from
    > acting as some sort of revivalist preservation of the rim and tire
    > standards so future generations can roll along on mid-century French
    > bicycles, the attraction is purely aesthetic, right?
    >
    > Or is there some advantage to spanning the 559-622 mm interval I haven't
    > perceived? Maybe a compromise for 29er-like off road virtues but with
    > stronger wheels?

    There are a very large number of very fine older bikes that only work
    for this size wheel. It would be a shame if they were to go the way of
    127 film cameras and become unusable for want of supplies.

    Given that rims and tires are likely to continue to be available, albeit
    in limited distribution, it's not unreasonable to find other
    applications for the size.

    For me the advantage is that I've got a couple of 700c "modern" bikes
    with excessively tight tire clearance. One's an IRO, currently a fixed
    gear, aluminum frame with a plastic fork, but I've found it
    uncomfortably harsh to ride, and un-fenderable.

    I'm hoping that switching to 584 wheels with medium-width tires will
    cure this without screwing up the geometry.

    There have been a number of reports on the BOB email list of people
    upgrading racey bikes this way with great success.

    This size is also a potential saviour for all the poor suckers who were
    victims of GT's "700D" debacle.

    The 584 size has real value for smaller riders compared with 622 (700C)
    though it isn't clear that it has any serious advantage over 559 (26"
    decimal.)

    Sheldon "Gonna Give 'Em A Whirl" Brown
    | The important thing is not to stop questioning. |
    | Curiosity has its own reason for existing. |
    | --Albert Einstein |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  15. Zach Kaplan asked:

    > Sheldon:
    >
    > I am curious why you are going to lace the Nexus hub to a 650B rim.
    > Isn't that an archaic size? Why not use the common 559mm instead?
    > Zach Kaplan

    These wheels are going into a frame or frames made for 622 wheels.
    Going from 622 to 559 lowers the bottom bracket excessively, likely has
    too much effect on the handling, and requires more heroic measures to
    make the brake reach.

    It will initially be going on an IRO Jamie roy, though I also have a
    plastic Trek frame hanging around that may be used with this wheelset
    eventually. Both of these frames suffer insufficient tire clearance,
    and I've found both of them uncomomfortably harsh to ride with 622 tires
    that would squeeze into them.

    Sheldon "It's An Experiment" Brown
    +-------------------------------------+
    | Only those who attempt the absurd |
    | will achieve the impossible. |
    | --Albert Einstein |
    +-------------------------------------+

  16. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Besides the extra gear, and the silent clutch, are there any differences
    > in terms of perfomance, durabilty and weight between it and the Nexus 7
    > hub?

    The Nexus 8 is supposedly more efficent and durable, and better able to
    withstand shifting under load. It is also heavier, about 1.8 kg.

    Sheldon "Win Some, Lose Some" Brown
    | Do not needlessly endanger your lives |
    | until I give you the signal. |
    | --Dwight D. Eisenhower |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  17. Tom Ace

    Tom Ace Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote

    >2.7 mm is a "heaping helping" of asymmetry? Most
    >non-flip-flop hubs have at least this much asymmetry.
    >
    >See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/28.htm
    >
    >Even typical track hubs are more asymmetrical than this, viz:
    >
    >Campagnolo 5-13 depending on model,
    >Miche at 15,
    >Phil Wood at 14 mm,
    >Sun Tour at 6 mm.

    Is this a fair comparison?

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the numbers given for Campi,
    Miche, Phil, SunTour are WL-WR, where WL and WR are
    flange-to-center distances, as defined on the page at
    http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

    WL-WR for the Nexus 8 is 5.4mm, not 2.7mm.

    0mm would be nicer, but I don't think 5.4mm is an awful lot.
    At least Shimano went with 36 holes instead of 32.

    Setting practical matters aside for a moment, does
    anyone like the look of this hub? I think it's ugly.

    Tom Ace

  18. I wrote:

    >>2.7 mm is a "heaping helping" of asymmetry? Most
    >>non-flip-flop hubs have at least this much asymmetry.
    >>
    >>See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/28.htm
    >>
    >>Even typical track hubs are more asymmetrical than this, viz:
    >>
    >>Campagnolo 5-13 depending on model,
    >>Miche at 15,
    >>Phil Wood at 14 mm,
    >>Sun Tour at 6 mm.

    Tom Ace demurred:

    > Is this a fair comparison?
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the numbers given for Campi,
    > Miche, Phil, SunTour are WL-WR, where WL and WR are
    > flange-to-center distances, as defined on the page at
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
    >
    > WL-WR for the Nexus 8 is 5.4mm, not 2.7mm.

    You're right, I misread the diagram.

    > 0mm would be nicer, but I don't think 5.4mm is an awful lot.

    Right.

    > At least Shimano went with 36 holes instead of 32.

    I'm guessing this is a dig at Rohloff. Rohloff is stuck with 32
    onacountta the 8 bolts that hold the left end of the hub to the shell.

    While I've long been an advocate of 36 spoke wheels, The Rohloff hub has
    such huge flanges, as does the Nexus 8, as to give an unusually generous
    lateral bracing angle.

    I've sold a LOT of Rohloff hubs, many to very abusive riders, and have
    yet to hear of a broken spoke on a Rohloff wheel.

    We tend to get used to the inherently weak highly-dished wheels used on
    derailer bikes, and to forget how very much stronger a one-sprocket
    wheel can be.

    > Setting practical matters aside for a moment, does
    > anyone like the look of this hub? I think it's ugly.

    Yep. Fortunately, I can't see the rear hub when I'm riding.

    This is also partially offset by the super neat shift cable routing.
    Shimano's system of keeping all of the moving parts inboard of the
    chainstays makes them less kludgy looking as well as less prone to
    impact damage than virtually all other multispeed systems.

    Sheldon "Huit" Brown
    +--------------------------------+
    | One does not win at chess by |
    | seizing every opportune pawn |
    | -- Michael Flynn |
    +--------------------------------+
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  19. Bob Anderson

    Bob Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:55:54 -0500, Sheldon Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:
    >
    >http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

    Thanks!

    I have this on my Bianchi Milano, works great, very easy to
    shift. Not sure I would want to take one apart, looks complex.

    ---
    "BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
    Eugene Oregon