Shimano nexus brakes hub grease

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Hi :) I am new to the forum so I dont know if this has been asked before.
The situation is: I got a bike that its possibly manufactured around 2008-2009 and I have been using it for over a year now. I bought it new. The bike is fitted with a nexus 7 rear hub and nexus roller brakes front and rear.
The bike is kept on a closed space and I took it over to the shop for a service after using it for a year and they told me that its fine but they did not grease the brakes or the hub.
Should I grease the brakes or the hub after a year of use? Both brakes and hub work just fine at the moment. So do you think that if its ok dont fix it?
The brake grease sells for around 30euro +postage whilst the whole brake new costs around 50euro... I also could not find the composition of the shimano roller brake grease to find something generic that I can find from a shop around.
The hub grease is even more expensive selling for around 70euro whilst the whole hub new costs around 200 euro. I also could not find a generic similar since I could not find the composition of it. The greases are these:

Roller brake grease:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33669

Hub grease:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27229

Do you think that its ok to leave the brakes and hub alone or maybe it would be better to grease them? The hub seems pretty difficult to grease as I would have to dissasemple it (hopefully without having to re-fit and readjust the spokes...).

Many thanks :) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

If the grease is for the EXTERNAL linkage, then almost any grease will be okay.

If the grease is for the use INSIDE ([COLOR= #808080]?!?[/COLOR]) the housing, then you need to look at it and assess the consistency ... it probably has the consistency of WHITE LITHIUM grease ([COLOR= #808080]available universally -- auto supply stores, WalMart, etc[/COLOR]) ...

If the grease on the inside is THINNER, then you can probably use SLICK HONEY as a substitute.

Hi, thanks for the reply. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Yes the lube is for the internal of the hub and the brakes. I checked a walkthrough on the net that shows the internal of the hub being removed and then dipped inside a low viscosity lubricant and then reinstalled in the hub housing. The brakes however have a cap on them that you remove and drip the grease inside and I could not find a picture of the consistency of the grease. Since it is a squeeze tube I suppose that it is a high viscosity lube.
I will probably have a look around for lubes allthough I am still not sure if I should lube them or not...