shimano nexus gear system

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeremy Watts, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Jeremy Watts

    Jeremy Watts Guest

    i've been reading about the shimano nexus gear system (similar to the old
    sturmey archer type), but cannot seem to find a UK dealer.

    Anyone know for one?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Have you had a look at the SRAM hub gears here?
    <http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sram_hub_gears.shtml>

    Steve.

  3. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:01:58 +0000, Jeremy Watts wrote:

    > Anyone know for one?

    Dont Madison import Shimano?

    google it, I gave up after the first few entries.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  4. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Have you had a look at the SRAM hub gears here?
    > <http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sram_hub_gears.shtml>
    >
    > Steve.

    That dual drive thing looks excellent for a freeride bike... all the joys of
    multi gears whilst still being able to have a proper chain guide at the
    front.

    But, reading around it, it seems that it's in the "comfort" range, perhaps
    not so ideal for hammering around on the rocks. Interested in anyone who has
    used one though!

    AndyC

  5. Could also be used on a singlespeed (doublespeed) for a bail out gear...

  6. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Could also be used on a singlespeed (doublespeed) for a bail out gear...

    STEVE! So yer back, then, but from damned google huh?

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  7. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Could also be used on a singlespeed (doublespeed) for a bail out gear...

    Ah, it's not as the name suggests..

    To quote...

    "DualDrive:

    The Dualdrive system is very innovative - a 3-speed hub gear is attached to
    a 8 or 9 speed derailleur system - you get 24 or 27 gears in a very wide
    range with no front deraillleur. One gearshifter for the right hand controls
    both mechanisms - a twist shifter fo the derailleur and a thumb lever for
    the hub gear."

    So at the least you'd get 3 speeds, which you can do with other products
    they've got rather than a single speed converter that you'd need...

    All a bit confusing, but I must confes to wanting an 81 speed mountain bike!

    Andy

  8. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Have you had a look at the SRAM hub gears here?
    > <http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sram_hub_gears.shtml>
    >
    > Steve.

    Very impressive, I like the dualdrive. Funnily enough I was wondering if
    that would ever be possible, (and that was over 15 years ago.) ;)

  9. Per AndyC:
    >The Dualdrive system is very innovative - a 3-speed hub gear is attached to
    >a 8 or 9 speed derailleur system - you get 24 or 27 gears in a very wide
    >range with no front deraillleur. One gearshifter for the right hand controls
    >both mechanisms - a twist shifter fo the derailleur and a thumb lever for
    >the hub gear."

    A guy I worked/rode with 30 years ago had that kind of setup using a cog and a
    Sturmey-Archer hub. He loved it. I thought he was a little strange....but now
    I'm seeing the light.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Bill S

    Bill S Guest

    I have the SRAM dual drive system on a Cannondale (24 speed).
    It's great. You can shift the 3 speed hub quicker than a front
    deraileur and it can be shifted even when stopped. No problems
    after 1000 miles of trail riding. SRAM claims it's lighter than a
    conventional system. There supposedly is a slight power loss due
    to the gearing, but I can't notice the difference after riding both
    types. It stays in adjustment and doesn't collect dirt like a front
    deraileur.

    AndyC wrote:
    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Have you had a look at the SRAM hub gears here?
    >><http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sram_hub_gears.shtml>
    >>
    >>Steve.
    >>

    > That dual drive thing looks excellent for a freeride bike... all the joys of
    > multi gears whilst still being able to have a proper chain guide at the
    > front.
    >
    > But, reading around it, it seems that it's in the "comfort" range, perhaps
    > not so ideal for hammering around on the rocks. Interested in anyone who has
    > used one though!
    >
    > AndyC

  11. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

    "Bill S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have the SRAM dual drive system on a Cannondale (24 speed).
    > It's great. You can shift the 3 speed hub quicker than a front
    > deraileur and it can be shifted even when stopped. No problems
    > after 1000 miles of trail riding. SRAM claims it's lighter than a
    > conventional system. There supposedly is a slight power loss due
    > to the gearing, but I can't notice the difference after riding both
    > types. It stays in adjustment and doesn't collect dirt like a front
    > deraileur.

    Cheers,
    I think I might be investigating... over here in blighty we have tremendous
    mud, something that doesn't clog the front would be excellent, especially if
    it allows a rock guard ring at the front as well!

    Ta
    Andy

  12. Yep I've been dumped onto google, its better than nowt but I can't
    figure out how to disguise my email addy so I'm being plagued with
    spam.
    Hows things with yerself Shaun?

    Steve.

  13. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

  14. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Yep I've been dumped onto google, its better than nowt but I can't
    > figure out how to disguise my email addy so I'm being plagued with
    > spam.

    D'oh!

    Yup - me too with the spam and virus mails to the new addy. Sucks.

    > Hows things with yerself Shaun?
    >
    > Steve.

    Sweet really, ta!

    Could do with more money, more time, more sleep etc. but ETF eh?

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  15. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Did you ever check the bogtrotters website, theres a couple of good
    > pics of yerself
    > http://www.bogtrotters.org/rides/2005/6feb/table.html?pic=10
    > Steve.

    Heh, yeah - certainly did mate! Sure I replied to you?

    Anyhow - yeah, the stream ride one came out a bit dark huh? - Seems he had
    it on some stupid fast shutter speed by accident.

    As for the other one - if 'd known he was taking it at the time, I don't
    think I'd have expressed much pleasure - I was hurting bad and feeling quite
    sorry for myself at the time LOL!

    Still, I fwd'd it along to a few friends and n/groups anyway, heheheheh!

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe
    --
    Life is the dream you wake up to.

  16. Per Shaun aRe:

    If you're willing to put out $6.00/month: www.cotse.net
    --
    PeteCresswell

  17. don't think I received it, mailbox exceeded size limit recently so
    mebbe it got rejected.
    Kinda like the way the stream one came out myself, you can see the
    details of the water splashing and it has a nice grainy look.

    Steve.

    BTW anyone know how to quote previous text with this pos google groups?

  18. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Shaun aRe:
    > >Yup - me too with the spam and virus mails to the new addy. Sucks.

    > If you're willing to put out $6.00/month: www.cotse.net

    Apparently, NIN *will* allow you to mung your addy, but only with .invalid
    at the end or summink - just gotta read the faq and fix it up.

    I believe I will be paying them their 10 EUR/year and sorting that out while
    I'm at it.

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe