Shimano Nexus switch

David Nutter

Guest
I've had a front wheel built with a NX-30 hub dynamo but I can't figure out where the switch is
supposed to go for sure. The best I can come up with is bolted to the fork crown through the hole
used for caliper brakes but this seems less than ideal as it interferes with mounting headlights and
mudguards.

The sensible place would be the handlebars but there isn't enough cable for that.

Since the switch isn't mentioned in the instructions for the dynamo, can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Regards,

-david

David Nutter wrote:
> I've had a front wheel built with a NX-30 hub dynamo but I can't figure out where the switch is
> supposed to go for sure. The best I can come up with is bolted to the fork crown through the hole
> used for caliper brakes but this seems less than ideal as it interferes with mounting headlights
> and mudguards.
>
> The sensible place would be the handlebars but there isn't enough cable for that.
>
> Since the switch isn't mentioned in the instructions for the dynamo, can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

It does go above the fork through the hole the lamp and the guards are bolted to. I can't visualise
how it is mounted on my bike (that one's at home) but it is to the side on a little bracket, on my
right. That bike has v-brakes which didn't present a problem for the switch or lamp.

Colin

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:

> It does go above the fork through the hole the lamp and the guards are bolted to. I can't
> visualise how it is mounted on my bike (that one's at home) but it is to the side on a
> little bracket, on my right. That bike has v-brakes which didn't present a problem for the
> switch or lamp.

Ta. I'll just have to be careful in my choice of mudguards and buy a longer bolt for mounting the
headlamp assembly in that case. Hopefully nothing will get in the way of the cantilevers when I fit
those *fingers crossed*

Regards,

-david

David Nutter wrote:

>> It does go above the fork through the hole the lamp and the guards are bolted to. I can't
>> visualise how it is mounted on my bike (that one's at home) but it is to the side on a
>> little bracket, on my right. That bike has v-brakes which didn't present a problem for the
>> switch or lamp.

Yes, that's what I did as well.

> Ta. I'll just have to be careful in my choice of mudguards and buy a longer bolt for mounting the
> headlamp assembly in that case.

Doesn't add *that* much, surely? The mounting plate on mine is less than 1mm thick!

> Hopefully nothing will get in the way of the cantilevers when I fit those *fingers crossed*

If you're on cantis or V-brakes I can pretty much guarantee it won't cause a problem (or at least it
hasn't for me) - the bolt on my bike holds a lamp bracket, mudguards and the switch. But then I
moved the lamp onto the handlebars anyway. The switch goes on the right, and trails behind the fork
leg, whereas the cantis and all their gubbins go on the front.

Enjoy the Nexus (said the smug SON owner)

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> said:
> David Nutter wrote:
>
>> Ta. I'll just have to be careful in my choice of mudguards and buy a longer bolt for mounting the
>> headlamp assembly in that case.
>
> Doesn't add *that* much, surely? The mounting plate on mine is less than 1mm thick!

On this switch it seems a bit thicker; I'd guess about 3mm and the bolt is a silly short thing that
came with the headlamp. It barely goes through the hole without the light attached and I doubt it
will fit anything else.

>> Hopefully nothing will get in the way of the cantilevers when I fit those *fingers crossed*
>
> If you're on cantis or V-brakes I can pretty much guarantee it won't cause a problem (or at least
> it hasn't for me) - the bolt on my bike holds a lamp bracket, mudguards and the switch. But then I
> moved the lamp onto the handlebars anyway. The switch goes on the right, and trails behind the
> fork leg, whereas the cantis and all their gubbins go on the front.

Excellent.

> Enjoy the Nexus (said the smug SON owner)

At about 1/3rd of the SON's price I think I can live with the marginal extra drag... :)

I am certainly looking forward to no batteries and no need to attach things to the bike before I
ride off. Also the Hella headlamp is much nicer than my current SMART halogen.

Regards,

-david