Shimano Octalink BB problem.



Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
I've just noticed my 9 speed Octalink BB is loose:eek:
I've done about 20 k kms with it after getting it secondhand.
Are the bearings worn?
Could they be replaced or should I get a replacement BB?
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Octalink is prone to loosening of the crank bolts, so they're the first thing to check. Mine got quite loose, but were able to be retightened without apparent damage.
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
artemidorus said:
Octalink is prone to loosening of the crank bolts, so they're the first thing to check. Mine got quite loose, but were able to be retightened without apparent damage.
+1. If it turns out to be bearings, I beleive that you will need to buy a new BB unless you are extremely handy, have a bearing press and a shop oven.
 

Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
I checked those although I was pretty sure it wasn't them as both crank arms move.
So - replacement BB then?:eek:



artemidorus said:
Octalink is prone to loosening of the crank bolts, so they're the first thing to check. Mine got quite loose, but were able to be retightened without apparent damage.
 

Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
Looks like you're right...as I had thought too.



kdelong said:
+1. If it turns out to be bearings, I beleive that you will need to buy a new BB unless you are extremely handy, have a bearing press and a shop oven.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Does the axle have play, or is it simply rough? Replace with Ultegra, DA is an open system requiring regreasing after every wet ride, apparently.
 

Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
Its got play - no roughness.
Ultegra.
Who on earth could be bothered regreasing the BB after a wet ride?! (rhetorical q):eek:

I'll take it to my LBS on Thursday with another secondhand Ultegra BB I have for the changeover.



artemidorus said:
Does the axle have play, or is it simply rough? Replace with Ultegra, DA is an open system requiring regreasing after every wet ride, apparently.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Bigbananabike said:
Its got play - no roughness.
Ultegra.
Who on earth could be bothered regreasing the BB after a wet ride?! (rhetorical q):eek:

I'll take it to my LBS on Thursday with another secondhand Ultegra BB I have for the changeover.
I've never had a worn BB develop play - make sure that the crank sockets are not damaged.
 

Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
Thanks for the replies.
The play in it seems strange to me too. The cranks have been on the bike / BB for about 20k kms (as long as I've had the bike built up) and are still tight on the BB.
I've never had a BB wear out so didn't know what to expect.



artemidorus said:
I've never had a worn BB develop play - make sure that the crank sockets are not damaged.
 

mikeg

New Member
Jun 6, 2003
161
0
0
Bigbananabike said:
I've just noticed my 9 speed Octalink BB is loose:eek:
I've done about 20 k kms with it after getting it secondhand.
Are the bearings worn?
Could they be replaced or should I get a replacement BB?

Make sure you are not mixing Octalink V1 & V2 versions.

See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html#octalink

and

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

A V2 crankset (eg. Tiagra octalink) will fit on a V1 Bottom Bracket (eg. 105 or Ultegra) but will have play in it.

Mike
 

mikeg

New Member
Jun 6, 2003
161
0
0
mikeg said:
Make sure you are not mixing Octalink V1 & V2 versions.

See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html#octalink

and

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

A V2 crankset (eg. Tiagra octalink) will fit on a V1 Bottom Bracket (eg. 105 or Ultegra) but will have play in it.

And should not be mixed. I'm sure you meant this but to ensure somebody doesn't think they are somehow compatible.

Yes I did mean that they should not be mixed, by saying that it would have play in the crank to bottom bracket interface. It was done to me by a not so LBS I bought the bike from, for a warranty replacement of the specialised brand crank when the arm to crank webbing cracked. They fitted a V2 Tiagra crankset to the 105 V1 BB. The amount of play this mismatch produced made it very difficult to ride. The mechanics at the bike shop should have known better.
 

Bigbananabike

Active Member
Dec 29, 2004
967
30
18
I've done about 20k kms on it before the play started so I hardly think that the cranks/BB are incompatible and it was me who put the two together:) & I like to think I know something of what I'm doing re bikes.





mikeg said:
Make sure you are not mixing Octalink V1 & V2 versions.

See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html#octalink

and

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

A V2 crankset (eg. Tiagra octalink) will fit on a V1 Bottom Bracket (eg. 105 or Ultegra) but will have play in it.

Mike
 

mikeg

New Member
Jun 6, 2003
161
0
0
Bigbananabike said:
I've done about 20k kms on it before the play started so I hardly think that the cranks/BB are incompatible and it was me who put the two together:) & I like to think I know something of what I'm doing re bikes.

Which model and year bottom bracket and cranks are they?
 

Similar threads