Shimano Octalink hollow BB and nuts.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Getronic Engine, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. On investigating creaking when out of the saddle I found both the hollow nuts in the cranks were
    loose. This was after about six months including a tour of the Pyrenees. Is this type of BB more
    susceptible to loosening than a square taper and can it be damaged by repeated tightening as a
    square taper can? I didn't use a torque wrench but have never had a square taper come loose.

    TIA KC

    --
    On-Site Getronics Engineer 01702 607776

    Tags:

  2. I have heard they can, especially if you stand on the pedals a lot. Something about the "backwards
    force", ie, torque in the opposite direction from normal pedalling.

    I have also heard people claim they are just as good as square taper. Perhaps Jobst or Sheldon can
    cast more light on this, I have never tried them myself, and have, in fact gone out of my way to
    avoid placing them on my new MTB.

    Personally, I see them as nothing more than another way to force us all to buy more stuff. My Sugino
    spindle on my tourer has been hollow since I first installed the brand decades ago.

  3. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
    > I have heard they can, especially if you stand on the pedals a lot. Something about the "backwards
    > force", ie, torque in the opposite direction from normal pedalling.
    >
    > I have also heard people claim they are just as good as square taper. Perhaps Jobst or Sheldon can
    > cast more light on this, I have never tried them myself, and have, in fact gone out of my way to
    > avoid placing them on my new MTB.
    >
    > Personally, I see them as nothing more than another way to force us all to buy more stuff. My
    > Sugino spindle on my tourer has been hollow since I first installed the brand decades ago.
    >
    > May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
    >
    > Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

    I had similar problems with Shiman splined and switched to ISIS. Workin' great.

    David

  4. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    What did you tighten it with? You need an allen socket and torque wrench. Or someway to give you
    some good leverage on an allen wrench. It'd surprise you how much 50nM really is. I had my DA cranks
    come loose, so I bought a socket and used a torque wrench, it was way tighter the second time and
    hasn't come loose since.

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program in than some that do. --

  5. "Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What did you tighten it with? You need an allen socket and torque wrench. Or someway to give you
    > some good leverage on an allen wrench. It'd surprise you how much 50nM really is. I had my DA
    > cranks come loose, so
    > bought a socket and used a torque wrench, it was way tighter the second time and hasn't come
    > loose since.

    I tightened it by feel. I'll get hold of a torque wrench and check.

    Thanks, KC