Shimano or Campagnolo

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Guy, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Guy

    Guy Guest

    I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo Veloce.
    Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
    Tiagra
    > or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......

    Easily the Veloce. More durable.

    And what's wrong with normal wheels? They'ree cheaper, lighter, more durable than
    not-enough-spokes wheels.

    I'd recommend a Veloce sealed hub on a Campagnolo Montreal/Barcelona or a Velocity rim with 32 DB
    stainless spokes. If you're a big guy, ditto but 36 spokes.

  3. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Ronald wrote:

    > Veloce, and use the hubs to build a set of handbuild wheels with rims like Mavic CXP33, Mavic Open
    > Pro ,Velocity Aerohead etc.
    >
    > "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    >> I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
    > Tiagra
    >> or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Staya way from all things Tiagra. If you are goign to go Shimano, go with 105 at the very least.
    Ultegra would be a better upgrade, IMO. ANything Mavic is a good wheel choice. Many rave about the
    CXP33 rims.

    You have not mentioend what you are looking to pay for this bike. Typically, a soild race bike
    will run you about $1100.00 hear in Oregon. That is for a Shimano 105 equipped bike with Mavic
    Open Pro wheels.

    Joe Cipale
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

  4. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
    quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed
    at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of
    blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
    quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed
    at the unusual quantities of blood.

    Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
    quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed
    at the unusual quantities of blood.

    Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
    quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood!

    App

  5. Just my two cents, but my wife has had Tiagra for two years problem free and the change is as crisp
    as my Ultegra (maybe criper as I have 12,000 kms on mine and my wife is only at around 2,000).
    Perhaps the thing to look for is which levers fit your hand better. Some prefer Campy, some Shimano.

    As far as wheels go I have a set of Ultegra 16 spokers and I love em for racing but prefer my 32
    spoke ultegra hubed mavic cxp23s for training, touring and general riding. One thing I do notice is
    less rigidity in bumpy low turns with the Shimano - but I love em anyway, especially in the sprint.
    Not sure if the 540s feel the same or not. Also be aware that the Mavic rims seem to have a more
    responsive braking surface - not too many people worry about that in racing but down a long hill it
    makes a difference when touring or training. Are you going to use the same wheels for
    training/racing? Your decision may well depend on the answer to this.

    --
    Tony Wilkins

    "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
    Tiagra
    > or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Sam Bixby

    Sam Bixby Guest

    just a thought, but i found the shimano lever unit far more comfortable than the campag i now have.

    panda

    "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
    Tiagra
    > or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    >
    > Thanks

  7. gupe-<< I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo
    Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    >><BR><BR>

    Veloce with a set of hand built wheels. Campagnolo for convertibility(8s/9s or10s), ease of
    maintenance of the levers, cross compatibility, overall duability, price. Hand built wheels for
    durability, long term service, etc.

  8. Gocycle

    Gocycle Guest

    "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo Veloce.
    > Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    >
    > Thanks

    Campagnolo Breaks In

    ShimaNO Breaks Down

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (GoCycle) wrote:

    > "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo
    > > Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Campagnolo Breaks In
    >
    > ShimaNO Breaks Down

    Dude, you forgot "Steel is real!"