Shimano or Campagnolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guy

I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo Veloce.
Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......

Thanks

"Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
> I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
Tiagra
> or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......

Easily the Veloce. More durable.

And what's wrong with normal wheels? They'ree cheaper, lighter, more durable than
not-enough-spokes wheels.

I'd recommend a Veloce sealed hub on a Campagnolo Montreal/Barcelona or a Velocity rim with 32 DB
stainless spokes. If you're a big guy, ditto but 36 spokes.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Ronald wrote:

> Veloce, and use the hubs to build a set of handbuild wheels with rims like Mavic CXP33, Mavic Open
> Pro ,Velocity Aerohead etc.
>
> "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
>> I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano
> Tiagra
>> or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>

Staya way from all things Tiagra. If you are goign to go Shimano, go with 105 at the very least.
Ultegra would be a better upgrade, IMO. ANything Mavic is a good wheel choice. Many rave about the
CXP33 rims.

You have not mentioend what you are looking to pay for this bike. Typically, a soild race bike
will run you about $1100.00 hear in Oregon. That is for a Shimano 105 equipped bike with Mavic
Open Pro wheels.

Joe Cipale
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed
at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of
blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed
at the unusual quantities of blood.

Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual
at the unusual quantities of blood.

quantities of blood.Passersby were amazed at the unusual quantities of blood!

App

Just my two cents, but my wife has had Tiagra for two years problem free and the change is as crisp
as my Ultegra (maybe criper as I have 12,000 kms on mine and my wife is only at around 2,000).
Perhaps the thing to look for is which levers fit your hand better. Some prefer Campy, some Shimano.

As far as wheels go I have a set of Ultegra 16 spokers and I love em for racing but prefer my 32
spoke ultegra hubed mavic cxp23s for training, touring and general riding. One thing I do notice is
less rigidity in bumpy low turns with the Shimano - but I love em anyway, especially in the sprint.
Not sure if the 540s feel the same or not. Also be aware that the Mavic rims seem to have a more
responsive braking surface - not too many people worry about that in racing but down a long hill it
makes a difference when touring or training. Are you going to use the same wheels for
training/racing? Your decision may well depend on the answer to this.

--
Tony Wilkins

Tiagra
> or Campagnolo Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
>
> Thanks

just a thought, but i found the shimano lever unit far more comfortable than the campag i now have.

panda

Tiagra
>
> Thanks

gupe-<< I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo
Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
>><BR><BR>

Veloce with a set of hand built wheels. Campagnolo for convertibility(8s/9s or10s), ease of
maintenance of the levers, cross compatibility, overall duability, price. Hand built wheels for
durability, long term service, etc.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo Veloce.
> Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
>
> Thanks

Campagnolo Breaks In

ShimaNO Breaks Down

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (GoCycle) wrote:

> "Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am going to buy a new racebike.Which group should I take ? Shimano Tiagra or Campagnolo
> > Veloce. Which wheels ? Campagnolo Scirocco , Shimano 540 , FIR Raund ,......
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Campagnolo Breaks In
>
> ShimaNO Breaks Down

Dude, you forgot "Steel is real!"

SunTour 4ever! It r00ls!

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.