Shimano or Campy?

ianhargreaves

Nov 3, 2004
Yes, that age old question. I currently ride a Trek1200 with a Tiragra Groupset and am considering the move the Bianchi.
Asthetics aside which group set on the whole does the better job (pound for pound)? I spoke to loads of people comparing Tiagra to Xenon and one guy put xenon along the likes of sora (he champions shimano) and needless to say the guy I spoke to that champions Campagnolo put the Xenon groupy with Ultegra. I'm lost Help guys.

P.S. Forget asthetics cause campy wins on that hands down. I just want the more durable, less efforted shifting qualities please and how the ydiffer.

Really depends on which Shimmy and which Campy. Sora vs. Record? DA vs. Xenon? Do we give points for price? Parts availability?

Or has this topic been beat to death already? ;)

I have been a shimano user for many years now and just recently bought a used Calfee with Record / Chorus and though my Vortex with 10 sp D/A shifts more easily I find the Campy crisper and with the ability to shift multiple sprockets in both directions is a bonus. Now I am conteplating replacing the 10 sp DA with a new Record 2007 group just to be consistent.

rbtmcardle said:
I have been a shimano user for many years now and just recently bought a used Calfee with Record / Chorus and though my Vortex with 10 sp D/A shifts more easily I find the Campy crisper and with the ability to shift multiple sprockets in both directions is a bonus. Now I am conteplating replacing the 10 sp DA with a new Record 2007 group just to be consistent.
What price consistency?? :eek:

Or you can just mix the parts and save the most money.

And yes, I will mention it again, for the millionth time: Jtek Shiftmate

Why everyone asks?

Because campy makes the best shifters (IMO?) that don't break as quick (IMO!), and are much more comfortable (IMO!), and look better (IMO?). You get the point.

The problem with campy is that their other stuff is overpriced!

So you mix! Shimano rear derailleurs are very nice! 105 - Dura Ace

Shimano cranks and campy cranks are... just that... >...<

Maybe FSA cranks? Truvativ?

Why does it have to be just one company for everything?

hd reynolds said:
Like I always say, u cant compare an R34 skyline with an enzo.
So you mean one is pretty and more expensive, one is not so pretty but both do the same job and maybe handle a little different.
Do you really gt more for you money with shimmy?

There was a post on another forum about how Shimano's string of TdF victories ended at seven, and those were the only seven victories for Shimano. Just for fun, I decided to look at stage wins in this year's TdF. The results:

Prolog Thor Hushovd CA Shimano
Stage 1 Jimmy Casper COF Campagnolo
Stage 2 Robbie McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 3 Matthias Kessler TMO Shimano
Stage 4 McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 5 Oscar Freire RAB Shimano
Stage 6 McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 7 Serhiy Honchar TMO Shimano
Stage 8 Sylvain Calzat iA2R Campagnolo
Stage 9 Freire RAB Shimano
Stage 10 Juan Miguel Mercado AGR Shimano
Stage 11 Denis Menchov RAB Shimano
Stage 12 Yaroslav Popovych DSC Shimano
Stage 13 Jens Voigt CSC Shimano
Stage 14 Pierrick Fedrigo BTL Campagnolo
Stage 15 Frank Schleck CSC Shimano
Stage 16 Mickael Rasmussen RAB Shimano
Stage 17 Floyd Landis PHO Campagnolo
Stage 18 Matteo Tosatto QSI Campagnolo
Stage 19 Honchar TMO Shimano
Stage 20 Hushovd CA Shimano

That is 13 stage wins for Shimano and 8 for Campangolo. If you discount duplicate wins by the same riders, it is 10 riders using Shimano and 6 using Campagnolo. The bottom line is that half of the peloton was using Shimano and half was using Campagnolo. If there was a real difference between the drivetrains, I do not think they would be so evenly split.

RickF said:
......If there was a real difference between the drivetrains, I do not think they would be so evenly split.
However, as always when we talk about pro teams - the drivetrains are cared for by Pro wrenches and should perform equally well. What happens down the road a few thousand miles may be a different story.

RickF said:
There was a post on another forum about how Shimano's string of TdF victories ended at seven, and those were the only seven victories for Shimano. Just for fun, I decided to look at stage wins in this year's TdF. The results:

Prolog Thor Hushovd CA Shimano
Stage 1 Jimmy Casper COF Campagnolo
Stage 2 Robbie McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 3 Matthias Kessler TMO Shimano
Stage 4 McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 5 Oscar Freire RAB Shimano
Stage 6 McEwen DVL Campagnolo
Stage 7 Serhiy Honchar TMO Shimano
Stage 8 Sylvain Calzat iA2R Campagnolo
Stage 9 Freire RAB Shimano
Stage 10 Juan Miguel Mercado AGR Shimano
Stage 11 Denis Menchov RAB Shimano
Stage 12 Yaroslav Popovych DSC Shimano
Stage 13 Jens Voigt CSC Shimano
Stage 14 Pierrick Fedrigo BTL Campagnolo
Stage 15 Frank Schleck CSC Shimano
Stage 16 Mickael Rasmussen RAB Shimano
Stage 17 Floyd Landis PHO Campagnolo
Stage 18 Matteo Tosatto QSI Campagnolo
Stage 19 Honchar TMO Shimano
Stage 20 Hushovd CA Shimano

That is 13 stage wins for Shimano and 8 for Campangolo. If you discount duplicate wins by the same riders, it is 10 riders using Shimano and 6 using Campagnolo. The bottom line is that half of the peloton was using Shimano and half was using Campagnolo. If there was a real difference between the drivetrains, I do not think they would be so evenly split.

Both top level gruppos are essentially the same in terms of shifting quality. Tour stages could be won on Ultegra and Chorus as well (US domestic teams have been outfitted with Chorus). Top level drivetrain components have almost no impact on ability to win pro bicycle races. Quality of talent, training, form, and dope do matter.

In amateurs races you will see people winning on all manner of equipment, even -- *gasp* -- steel bikes with -- *gasp* -- SunTour!!

Of course, pro teams use whatever sponsors give them.

tcklyde said:
Of course, pro teams use whatever sponsors give them.
Yup, but we now have a great data point. Jan Ullrich ditched his Giant and T-Mobile colors and is now has complete freedom to train with what he wants. His choice is a frame made by his own company equiped with Campy. Woot!