Shimano parts compatibilty

Elguapo

Guest
Hi all,

I have a mid 90's era Giant mountain bike that has served me well and at
this point I see no reason to replace it. However, yesterday the rear
derailleur gave up the ghost and I need to replace it. The bike is a 7
speed Shimano setup and had predominantly 400GS gear on it (including 3 ring
Bio-pace cranks!!).

Over time I have upgraded the shifters and brakes to STX-RC and they a
working well.

I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups use
a thinner chain??

Thanks in advance.

Elguapo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a mid 90's era Giant mountain bike that has served me well and at
> this point I see no reason to replace it. However, yesterday the rear
> derailleur gave up the ghost and I need to replace it. The bike is a 7
> speed Shimano setup and had predominantly 400GS gear on it (including 3 ring
> Bio-pace cranks!!).
>
> Over time I have upgraded the shifters and brakes to STX-RC and they a
> working well.
>
> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups use
> a thinner chain??
>
> Thanks in advance.

Not quite your question, but I had a pair of STX-RC V brakes and truly
they were ****. They flexed so much the stopping power was very poor. I
picked up a pair of Avid Single Digit 5s and they were a vast
improvement.

Donga

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a mid 90's era Giant mountain bike that has served me well and at
> this point I see no reason to replace it. However, yesterday the rear
> derailleur gave up the ghost and I need to replace it. The bike is a 7
> speed Shimano setup and had predominantly 400GS gear on it (including 3

ring
> Bio-pace cranks!!).
>
> Over time I have upgraded the shifters and brakes to STX-RC and they a
> working well.
>
> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups

use
> a thinner chain??
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think I might have an STX-RC rear derailleur somewhere in the shed that
you could have.......if I do, it is definitely not new but it would do you
for a while until you can locate a suitable replacement. I will have a look
and let you know.

Gags

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
>> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
>> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups

> use
>> a thinner chain??

Yes they do use a thinner chain, but you will find that modern rear
derailleurs will shift your seven speed setup just fine. Check out
http://tinyurl.com/y5v623 (Shimano compatability chart). In fact they
are conservative (saying that 8spd RD will work with 7spd), even 9 speed
RDs will work fine on 7speed.

"Patrick Keogh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
>>> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
>>> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups

>> use
>>> a thinner chain??
>>>

> Yes they do use a thinner chain, but you will find that modern rear
> derailleurs will shift your seven speed setup just fine. Check out
> http://tinyurl.com/y5v623 (Shimano compatability chart). In fact they are
> conservative (saying that 8spd RD will work with 7spd), even 9 speed RDs
> will work fine on 7speed.

Basically the 7-speed shifters are the hard bits to replace, and the ones
which seem to go wrong most often for me! Most other parts work fine.

Luckily my LBS has stock (don't know whether it's still being produced) of
shimano 7-speed shifters which look a lot like the old STX ones and work
fine - I just replaced my 1993 XT ones with em!

//Adam F

I'm presently using a 9-speed Deore LX rear derailleur on a bike with a
7-speed freewheel and old 7-speed 105 gear shifters and an 8-speed chain.
Everything works fine.

Nick

www.cambriabike.com sometimes have older stuff.

On 2006-11-09, Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,

<SNIP>

> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups use
> a thinner chain??

You 7, 8, 9 and (probably) 10 speed derailleurs are pretty
interchangeable, you might need to run a thiner chain but that rarely
causes any problems with older bits

Cheers

Joel

"Joel Mayes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-11-09, Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,

> <SNIP>
>
>> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
>> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
>> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups
>> use
>> a thinner chain??

> You 7, 8, 9 and (probably) 10 speed derailleurs are pretty
> interchangeable, you might need to run a thiner chain but that rarely
> causes any problems with older bits
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

Thanks for all the advice guys. It has certainly opened up the options for
me now. Might even look at replacing the old Biopace chain rings too!!

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joel Mayes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2006-11-09, Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> I have tried to source a STX-RC 7 speed rear derailleur, preferably new,
>>> with no luck. Can any one advise if any other newer parts are likely to
>>> operate with my 7 speed setup? I believe the newer 8 and 9 speed setups
>>> use
>>> a thinner chain??

>> You 7, 8, 9 and (probably) 10 speed derailleurs are pretty
>> interchangeable, you might need to run a thiner chain but that rarely
>> causes any problems with older bits
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Joel

> Thanks for all the advice guys. It has certainly opened up the options
> for me now. Might even look at replacing the old Biopace chain rings
> too!!

I wanted to replace my SIS ones, but be aware cranks + BB + 3 rings adds up!

//Adam F