Shimano PD-A520 SPD Pedal versus M520 Pedal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by buck, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. buck

    buck Guest

    Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
    shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
    getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
    PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
    -TIA

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
    > shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
    > getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using
    > the PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
    > -TIA

    I've used both types. I have a very fine custom road bike, all Italian,
    except for the Shimano off-road pedals on it. For me, there is just no
    substitute for double-sided SPD pedals in the real world off stop and go
    riding around town.
    Pete

  3. buck

    buck Guest

    Pete..... Good enough for me..... thanks!

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
    >> shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
    >> getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using
    >> the PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
    >> -TIA
    >>

    > I've used both types. I have a very fine custom road bike, all Italian,
    > except for the Shimano off-road pedals on it. For me, there is just no
    > substitute for double-sided SPD pedals in the real world off stop and go
    > riding around town.
    > Pete

  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    buck wrote:
    > Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
    > shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
    > getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
    > PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
    > -TIA

    A-520 is nicely balanced and is easy to flip up and engage. That said,
    I still prefer double sided pedals.

    Robin Hubert

  5. buck wrote:
    > Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
    > shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
    > getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
    > PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
    > -TIA

    I have lots of bikes and many sets of SPD pedals, of both single and
    double sided types. The double sided are certainly easier to get in
    and out of in traffic. The difference in weight between the single and
    double sided models is insignificant so when I do purchase a new set it
    is the double sided ones.

    There are non-Shimano ones that are very light but I have always had
    reliablity problems with the ones I have tried.

  6. buck

    buck Guest

    Thanks to All for your input... going with the double sided as suggested.