Shimano PD-M424 pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jay Goldstein, May 3, 2003.

  1. I've run into a problem with the spring tension of a binding on my new Shimano PD-M424 pedals. I've
    adjusted the spring tension on all four bindings to be very low (for ease of release). However,
    even at the lowest setting (i.e., the red tension indicator is barely visible) the tension on one
    of the bindings is still quite high (i.e., it takes a considerable effort to engage and disengage
    from that binding).

    I'm wondering whether the binding is defective, or can I expect the spring tension on that binding
    to lessen as the pedal gets "broken in"? BTW, I've ridden about 50 km (about 30 mi) with the new
    pedals and haven't noticed any change in the spring tension yet.

    Jay Goldstein Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

    Tags:

  2. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On 3 May 2003 15:45:01 GMT, Jay Goldstein <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've run into a problem with the spring tension of a binding on my new Shimano PD-M424 pedals. I've
    >adjusted the spring tension on all four bindings to be very low (for ease of release). However,
    >even at the lowest setting (i.e., the red tension indicator is barely visible) the tension on one
    >of the bindings is still quite high (i.e., it takes a considerable effort to engage and disengage
    >from that binding).
    >
    >I'm wondering whether the binding is defective, or can I expect the spring tension on that binding
    >to lessen as the pedal gets "broken in"? BTW, I've ridden about 50 km (about 30 mi) with the new
    >pedals and haven't noticed any change in the spring tension yet.
    >

    >Jay Goldstein Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    Two things to try; tighten the tension to maximum then back it out again to where you want it, in
    case the spring has snagged somewhere in the internals; check for any asymmetry in the plastic cage
    surrounding the pedal, in case interference between the sole and the cage is causing the feeling of
    high engagement force. Which cleats are you using? The 424/434 seems to work best with the SH-55
    multirelease cleats, especially in the dirt. The multirelease lets you get out even when there are
    stones in your tread pattern interfering with the cages.

    Kinky Cowboy Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  3. I had tried adjusting the tension to maximum and then back to minimum when I installed the pedals
    initially. On your suggestion, I tried it again, and there was no improvement. I concluded that the
    binding was defective.

    I've just gotten back from Mountain Equipment Co-Op, where they cheerfully gave me a new pedal. The
    tension adjustment on both bindings of the new pedal works fine. Problem solved.

    BTW, my pedals came with the single release mode cleats.

    Jay Goldstein Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    "KinkyCowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 3 May 2003 15:45:01 GMT, Jay Goldstein <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Two things to try; tighten the tension to maximum then back it out again to where you want it, in
    > case the spring has snagged somewhere in the internals; check for any asymmetry in the plastic
    > cage surrounding the pedal, in case interference between the sole and the cage is causing the
    > feeling of high engagement force. Which cleats are you using? The 424/434 seems to work best with
    > the SH-55 multirelease cleats, especially in the dirt. The multirelease lets you get out even when
    > there are stones in your tread pattern interfering with the cages.
    >
    > Kinky Cowboy Kinky Cowboy
    >
    > *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Jay Goldstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've run into a problem with the spring tension of a binding on my new Shimano PD-M424 pedals.
    > I've adjusted the spring tension on all four bindings to be very low (for ease of release).
    > However, even at the lowest setting (i.e., the red tension indicator is barely visible) the
    > tension on one of the bindings is still quite high (i.e., it takes a considerable effort to engage
    > and disengage from that binding).
    >
    > I'm wondering whether the binding is defective, or can I expect the spring tension on that binding
    > to lessen as the pedal gets "broken in"? BTW, I've ridden about 50 km (about 30 mi) with the new
    > pedals and haven't noticed any change in the spring tension yet.

    SPD pedal binding mechanisms seem to "wear-in" and get easier to get in/out of, but it can take a
    while. I lubricate mine when they are new, where there is metal-to-metal contact between the cleat
    and pedal.

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jay Goldstein wrote:
    > I've run into a problem with the spring tension of a binding on my new Shimano PD-M424 pedals.
    > I've adjusted the spring tension on all four bindings to be very low (for ease of release).
    > However, even at the lowest setting (i.e., the red tension indicator is barely visible) the
    > tension on one of the bindings is still quite high (i.e., it takes a considerable effort to engage
    > and disengage from that binding).
    >
    > I'm wondering whether the binding is defective, or can I expect the spring tension on that binding
    > to lessen as the pedal gets "broken in"? BTW, I've ridden about 50 km (about 30 mi) with the new
    > pedals and haven't noticed any change in the spring tension yet.
    >

    > Jay Goldstein Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    They wear-in, but VERY slowly (k's of miles). I've found it to be not unusual to have some
    difference, but not much. I would try reducing that one alone to see if I could balance them
    (someone may have been playing with them in the shop and left them set wrong). If it still seems
    wrong after you've played with it a bit, I'd take it back to where I bought it and get a new set.

    David