Shimano PD-M525 SPD Pedals

Sam123

Aug 1, 2009
Ok got some Shimano PD-M525 SPD Pedals from local bike shop for £15 and got no cleats. There second hand and only been used once. Does anyone know if what cleats can fit the pedals?

Ive looked everywhere on the net and cant see to find any.

Sam123 said:
Ok got some Shimano PD-M525 SPD Pedals from local bike shop for £15 and got no cleats. There second hand and only been used once. Does anyone know if what cleats can fit the pedals?
The pedals use a STANDARD 'SPD' cleat ... I'm surprised the shop did not at least include a used set of cleats.

Go onto eBay and input "SPD CLEAT" ... and, you should find some ... should be less than £10.

I dont know what sort of ones i need. That will fit in.

Do you know what ones? I may get mixed up with what ones go into the PD-M525.

Sam123 said:
I dont know what sort of ones i need. That will fit in.

Do you know what ones? I may get mixed up with what ones go into the PD-M525.
There are TWO types ... one has float, and the other doesn't ...

The SPD-pedal/cleat designation is a "standard" ... you can get SPD-compatible Wellgo cleats, too. The Wellgo cleats might be less expensive if you can find them.

When you read that a SHOE is SPD-cleat compatible, it means that it has two slots for mounting the cleat that may be specific to the paricular pedal.

OR, go back to the shop and ask THEM what kind of cleats the shoes use. I'm sure they will be willing to sell you a pair.

Around my area in england southeast.

They dont sell SPD cleats/pedals/shoes.

You have to order them.

The shop doesn't sell cleats.

Can you please find me a picture of the cleats :\?

Sam123 said:
Around my area in england southeast.

They dont sell SPD cleats/pedals/shoes.

You have to order them.

The shop doesn't sell cleats.

Can you please find me a picture of the cleats :\?
REALLY? That's almost not believeable ... are they going out of business OR does their business model intentinally have them turning customers away?

You need to find another shop for your OTHER cycling "stuff" ...

OR, make mail-order your sole source ... no point in patronizing a shop which isn't benefitting you.

The attached picture is from someone's auction ...

What are the grey plates?

They dont sell stuff like that because not people by them sort of things in the shops..

So they dont get them in the shops.

Sam123 said:
What are the grey plates?

They dont sell stuff like that because not people by them sort of things in the shops..

So they dont get them in the shops.
The larger grey plates are intended to be BOLSTER the sole on some touring shoes whose soles are thinner (not as stiff).

The two plates (one in each of the lower corners of the pic) are used to anchor the screws if the shoe's sole does not have the receiver for the bolts.

Sam123 said:
Mmm, just looked at my other cleats that fit in my SPD M520 pedals, they seem like the ones you posted, but they dont fit into the PD-M520.. Unless the ones you posted are little bit bigger?

Theirs are Shimano M525

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pedals/pedal_jpg/e1ee_shim_m525_top.jpg

But mine are the same as that but called PD-M525?
Okay, I'm going to guess that you are trying to push your shoe-and-cleat into the pedal when the pedal is NOT on the bike & your foot is not in the shoe. Is that right?

Either way, try adjusting the "release" tension for the rear part of the binding.

BTW. The picture is GENERIC ... the SPD cleats are GENERIC ... honest!

Sam123 said:
Mmm, just looked at my other cleats that fit in my SPD M520 pedals, they seem like the ones you posted, but they dont fit into the PD-M520.. Unless the ones you posted are little bit bigger?

Theirs are Shimano M525

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pedals/pedal_jpg/e1ee_shim_m525_top.jpg

But mine are the same as that but called PD-M525?
Yes, I did read this post, earlier.

I don't know why you are referring to your pedals as SPD-M520 and/or PD-M525 if they are both made by Shimano ... and, the others as SPD-M525.
SPD == Shimano PeDal
The designation for any of Shimano's MTB pedals will therefore be SPD-Mxxx.

I don't know what the difference is between a 520 & a 525 ... I may be mistakenly presuming that it isn't great, with my presumption being that the 525 is an updated version of the 520.

AGAIN, try adjusting the release tension on your 'new' pedals.

Sam123 said:
Dam it didn't work but anyway here's a picture i found on google.

Theirs are them.

http://n2.vatera.hu/photos/de/eb/7d8_2_300.jpg

They have like a triangle shaped then sqaured at the bottom.
You need to get a tape measure or calipers & compare the difference in the bindings on the two different pedals you have ...

Since you didn't say otherwise, I'm still guessing that you don't have the pedals mounted on your cranks, yet, and are trying to insert the cleats by pushing the shoe against the pedal manually ... is THAT right?

alfeng said:
You need to get a tape measure or calipers & compare the difference in the bindings on the two different pedals you have ...

Since you didn't say otherwise, I'm still guessing that you don't have the pedals mounted on your cranks, yet, and are trying to insert the cleats by pushing the shoe against the pedal manually ... is THAT right?

Ive tryed putting the shoe on to the M525 without it being on the pedal.

I had a few goes and thought yeh.. this isn't the right cleat for it.

The other SPD M520 are on the bike and clips in fine.