Shimano Pedals/Cleats

Ianbike

Apr 27, 2005
Hi, I am using Shimano pedals which I find difficult to re-engage on a ride, anyone tried different makes? any advice welcome.
:confused:

Which pedals and cleats? SPDs? SPD SL?

I use SPDs on my MTB and don't have any issues. You get used to the foot positioning to point the cleat in and step down motion after using them a while. If I was in the market for new MTB pedals right now I'd consider Speedplay Frogs -- double side, easy engagement, all the float you'll ever need and more.

If you are using the spd's it's probably just getting used to it. if you think about where you are placing your foot, i've found you'll tend to have mor trouble... My bf has them, as do I, and when i stop thinking about it, my foot steps donw naturally and slides right in. just take some time to practice, in and out a lot, and it should help.

I just got myself a pair of shimano spd's about 2-3 weeks ago.
When I concentrate trying to clip in I have problems heh.
When I give up trying to get it in & ride off it just clips in very smoothly.
So now defaulted to not concentrating in clipping in, just place right foot & pedal & take off weee, it engages straight away :)

Ianbike said:
Hi, I am using Shimano pedals which I find difficult to re-engage on a ride, anyone tried different makes? any advice welcome.
:confused:
I started out with SPD's and they took me quite a while to get used to. But, there are a zillion people using and liking them. I moved them to my MTB and put SPD-SL's on my road bike and I like them much better. They are a lot easier to get in and out of and distribute the weight over a larger area of the sole (and feel more stable as a result). I have all of them set at the minimum tightness setting and have not had any problems. Practice makes perfect ;)