Shimano Pedals M959 vs M858

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lorendi

These two pedals seem to be very similar but the M858 is about half the cost. I noted somewhere on
the net that the M959 is the result of = customer feedback on the M858 but did not provide detail.

Anyone know the difference between these two or what's wrong with the = M858?

Thanks.

LB

Originally posted by lorendi
These two pedals seem to be very similar but the M858 is about half the cost. I noted somewhere on
the net that the M959 is the result of = customer feedback on the M858 but did not provide detail.

Anyone know the difference between these two or what's wrong with the = M858?

Thanks.

LB

As I recall, the 858s were heavy and didn't shed mud particularly well, so they weren't around very long. They were a (failed) interlude between the 747s and 959s. By the way, I just bought a pair of them from BicycleBuys.com for $99. Can't beat that. Great pedals.

Originally posted by dennisg
As I recall, the 858s were heavy and didn't shed mud particularly well, so they weren't around very long. They were a (failed) interlude between the 747s and 959s. By the way, I just bought a pair of them from BicycleBuys.com for $99. Can't beat that. Great pedals.

Now that I reread my post, I can see that's a bit unclear. I meant I just bought a pair of 959s for $99.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 14:37:14 -0400, lorendi wrote:

> These two pedals seem to be very similar but the M858 is about half the cost. I noted somewhere on
> the net that the M959 is the result of customer feedback on the M858 but did not provide detail.
>
> Anyone know the difference between these two or what's wrong with the M858?

incompatible cleat using 'regular' cleat on 858 often will not release, leaving rider to remove shoe
to exit... or crash

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone know the difference between these two or what's wrong with the M858?

The 858 introduced a slightly different cleat, the SM-SH52. The new cleat is compatible to other
(MTB) SPD pedals, but the 858 works only reliable with the new cleat. Customers didn't like that,
the 959 is back to the old SM-SH51/55.

--
MfG/Best regards helmut springer

On 29 May 2003 11:15:31 GMT, Helmut Springer =
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Anyone know the difference between these two or what's wrong with the M858?
>
>The 858 introduced a slightly different cleat, the SM-SH52. The new cleat is compatible to other
>(MTB) SPD pedals, but the 858 works only reliable with the new cleat. Customers didn't like that,
>the 959 is back to the old SM-SH51/55.

Thanks very much for all replies. =20

I think I'm going with Crank Bros pedals after all!

LB

Status
Not open for further replies.