Shimano Postiron FH derailleur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by krisinpdx, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. krisinpdx

    krisinpdx Guest

    Hello all!

    I have an old Schwinn World Tourist Bike that I'm reconditioning. It's
    a five speed with the freewheel in the crank. It uses a Shimano
    Positron FH rear derailleur (which is damaged).

    So, the $1,000,000 question is: Keeping everything else the same, can
    I replace the derailleur and shifter with something more modern? Is it
    as simple as finding a short cage 5 or 6 speed derailleur, or is the
    positron derailleur unique in some way?

    Thanks for any words of wisdom.

    Kris

    Tags:

  2. u might have compatibility issues. for that same cost of the
    components, u can buy a cheap and good enough steel road bike to handle
    those extra distances u'll give it. whats ur budget?

  3. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    krisinpdx wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have an old Schwinn World Tourist Bike that I'm reconditioning. It's
    > a five speed with the freewheel in the crank. It uses a Shimano
    > Positron FH rear derailleur (which is damaged).
    >
    > So, the $1,000,000 question is: Keeping everything else the same, can
    > I replace the derailleur and shifter with something more modern? Is it
    > as simple as finding a short cage 5 or 6 speed derailleur, or is the
    > positron derailleur unique in some way?
    >
    > Thanks for any words of wisdom.
    >
    > Kris

    Shimano Positron derailleurs and shifters are somewhat unique and only
    work with each other. You can read about here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/36.html

    If you replace the derailleur, you need to replace the shifter and the
    cable as well. Given that, it's a straightforward job. A "standard"
    derailleur and shifter will work fine.

    Jeff