Shimano R500 STI shifters?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. MartinM wrote:
    >Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>
    >> No need for any signing up with the one on www.vrane.com -- use the Public
    >> Snipe Box. It works.

    >thanks; will try, what happens when everyone in the world has signed up
    >to it?
    >"The Snipe Event Horizon"

    Then everything turns into a sealed bid auction, and whoever puts the
    highest snipe bid in wins at just over the second highest bid.

    (I thought I had a bargain a few days ago, but was outbid with 9 seconds
    to go. The solution is to have a good idea of what the most you are
    prepared to pay is, then if do you get outbid, you don't wish you had bid
    that little bit more. Easier said than done, though. (Of course you never
    know that it had to be a "that little bit" just because you were only outbid
    by a bit, the winner might have been prepared to go way up.))

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:
    > (I thought I had a bargain a few days ago, but was outbid with 9
    > seconds
    > to go. The solution is to have a good idea of what the most you are
    > prepared to pay is, then if do you get outbid, you don't wish you had
    > bid that little bit more. Easier said than done, though. (Of course
    > you never know that it had to be a "that little bit" just because you
    > were only outbid by a bit, the winner might have been prepared to go
    > way up.))

    Or bid a bit more than you really want to pay then you'll be relieved at
    not winning :)

    ~PB

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    I think the RX100 is double, it seems to have trim, and always goes
    back to
    the bottom position unlike the RSX, but that could be because I am only
    using
    the bottom 2 positions of a triple (which was exactly the case with the
    SX
    until I fitted a triple chainset). Problem is until I take it apart to
    find
    out I won't know, and won't get round to doing this until the auction
    closes.

    I've tried using 7 of 8, was given some old 600 8 spd changers and
    fitted them to
    my brothers 7 speed, not at all satisfactory (not helped by the
    shifters
    having been pranged and straightened), 8 speed cassettes seem to be the
    same
    spacing but thinner cogs compared to 8, hence why I want to go for all
    new 8
    on front 8 on back.

    what I want to achieve is a better drivetrain on the audax bike and
    re-use as
    much as I can from it to make a winter bike, however if this turns
    into too
    much bother I will just wait until the audax bike has worn itself out
    and buy
    a new one; the R****e at 600 with 105 seems a good bargain; although
    unlikely to be delivered for 2007 ;-)

  4. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've tried using 7 of 8, was given some old 600 8 spd changers and
    > fitted them to
    > my brothers 7 speed, not at all satisfactory (not helped by the
    > shifters
    > having been pranged and straightened), 8 speed cassettes seem to be the
    > same
    > spacing but thinner cogs compared to 8, hence why I want to go for all
    > new 8
    > on front 8 on back.

    Why not 9, given that the wheels are the same and you'd need new shifters
    anyway?

    cheers,
    clive

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Clive George wrote:
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I've tried using 7 of 8, was given some old 600 8 spd changers and
    > > fitted them to
    > > my brothers 7 speed, not at all satisfactory (not helped by the
    > > shifters
    > > having been pranged and straightened), 8 speed cassettes seem to be the
    > > same
    > > spacing but thinner cogs compared to 8, hence why I want to go for all
    > > new 8
    > > on front 8 on back.

    > Why not 9, given that the wheels are the same and you'd need new shifters
    > anyway?

    now that I have discovered this; why not 9 indeed?

    Thanks for all the advice (consigns bike upgrade dreams to back burner
    behind new kitchen/bathroom)

  6. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > (consigns bike upgrade dreams to back burner
    > behind new kitchen/bathroom)

    Boo, hiss!

    Big house projects are perfect for hiding bike expenditure - one of the
    reasons the new tandem was finally allowed by SWMBO was the cost was tiny in
    comparison with the rebuilding the bathroom/utility room :) (although that
    rebuild was probably rather more major than what you're considering..)

    cheers,
    clive

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > Boo, hiss!
    >
    > Big house projects are perfect for hiding bike expenditure - one of the
    > reasons the new tandem was finally allowed by SWMBO was the cost was tinyin
    > comparison with the rebuilding the bathroom/utility room :) (although that
    > rebuild was probably rather more major than what you're considering..)

    I don't know; new boiler £4k, new bathroom anything up to £2-3k,
    ditto kitchen (and that includes using old scummy appliances

    Tandem= something that can also be used by SWMBO if I am correct hence
    much easier to get past The Management

  8. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Boo, hiss!
    >>
    >> Big house projects are perfect for hiding bike expenditure - one of the
    >> reasons the new tandem was finally allowed by SWMBO was the cost was tiny
    >> in
    >> comparison with the rebuilding the bathroom/utility room :) (although
    >> that
    >> rebuild was probably rather more major than what you're considering..)

    >I don't know; new boiler £4k, new bathroom anything up to £2-3k,
    >ditto kitchen (and that includes using old scummy appliances

    New foundations, floor, walls (in proper stone) and roof? I did mean _major_
    :)

    >Tandem= something that can also be used by SWMBO if I am correct hence
    >much easier to get past The Management

    Ah well, this was a second MTB tandem, so it wasn't strictly 'necessary'.
    Still, having got it, she now appreciates that it's quite a lot better than
    the previous one (full sus...)

    cheers,
    clive

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
    >Alan Braggins wrote:
    >> (I thought I had a bargain a few days ago, but was outbid with 9
    >> seconds
    >> to go. The solution is to have a good idea of what the most you are
    >> prepared to pay is, then if do you get outbid, you don't wish you had
    >> bid that little bit more. Easier said than done, though. (Of course
    >> you never know that it had to be a "that little bit" just because you
    >> were only outbid by a bit, the winner might have been prepared to go
    >> way up.))

    >Or bid a bit more than you really want to pay then you'll be relieved at
    >not winning :)

    Or you will win and pay more than you really want to. If "the most you are
    prepared to pay" is "more than you really want to", that's ok, you don't
    get the bargain you hoped for, but still have something you consider worth
    what you paid.

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  11. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, Clive
    > George ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Ah well, this was a second MTB tandem, so it wasn't strictly
    >> 'necessary'. Still, having got it, she now appreciates that it's quite
    >> a lot better than the previous one (full sus...)

    > Ooooh! What, may I ask? JPEGs?

    Boggo Ventana El Conq I'm afraid, like the rest of the known universe. Only
    moderately interesting bit is the maverick fork, which is possibly slightly
    lightweight for us, but seems to work pretty well.

    Two big reasons for being better from my POV: the frame is designed to have
    a bouncy fork - the steering on the cannondale is a bit compromised by the
    fork, and I don't have to control x stone of stoker flying all over the
    place whenever the back wheel hits a bump. (she appreciates this bit too
    :) ). It also climbs better with the fancy bob-reduction bits, and is
    lighter.

    If you want to have a play, we'll probably be up near you next year...

    cheers,
    clive

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Clive
    George ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Boggo Ventana El Conq I'm afraid, like the rest of the known universe.
    > Only moderately interesting bit is the maverick fork, which is possibly
    > slightly lightweight for us, but seems to work pretty well.
    >
    > Two big reasons for being better from my POV: the frame is designed to
    > have a bouncy fork - the steering on the cannondale is a bit
    > compromised by the fork, and I don't have to control x stone of stoker
    > flying all over the place whenever the back wheel hits a bump. (she
    > appreciates this bit too
    > :) ). It also climbs better with the fancy bob-reduction bits, and is
    > lighter.
    >
    > If you want to have a play, we'll probably be up near you next year...

    Thanks! Let me know when you're about. Is it manouverable enough for
    serious singletrack?

    ---===***<<< This space to let! >>>***===---
    Yes! You, too, can SPAM in the Famous Brooke Rotating .sig!
    ---===***<<< Only $300 per line >>>***===---

  13. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:25:14 -0000, "Clive George"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> (consigns bike upgrade dreams to back burner
    >> behind new kitchen/bathroom)

    >Boo, hiss!
    >
    >Big house projects are perfect for hiding bike expenditure - one of the
    >reasons the new tandem was finally allowed by SWMBO was the cost was tiny in
    >comparison with the rebuilding the bathroom/utility room :) (although that
    >rebuild was probably rather more major than what you're considering..)

    An alternative approach is to pick on the hobby of a friend. For
    example, my mate Frank collects medals, paying what his wife considers
    to be A Lot for them on Ebay and similar places. To placate her he
    says "be glad I'm not like Tim, goodness knows how much he spends on
    bikes."

    In turn I use my friend Pete (keen futbolista and holder of a season
    ticket at Upton Park) in a similar fashion.

    Tim

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > New foundations, floor, walls (in proper stone) and roof? I did mean _major_
    > :)

    Sounds like what I really want to do to mine. I am in the slow process
    of trying to damp proof and refit the kitchen (an extension out the
    back of the original house). We had the roof redone a few years ago,
    but th ekitchen really needs levelling and rebuilding.

    It is built between an 1860s stone house and the retaining wall for the
    garden. 9" solid brick walls, no DPC. Flooring was/is 3inches of
    concrete on a thin layer of old slates - not a very effective DPC. I
    have relaid part of the floor with a decent DPC, but really the whole
    thing should be rebuilt. A new boiler will also be needed, new
    appliances and so on. It may be possible to rebuild whilst retaining
    the original roof. The major problem would be access. I would have to
    talk very nicely to the neighbours as the only access to the kitcehn
    from outside is through the neighbours property.

    ...d

  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:

    > Or you will win and pay more than you really want to. If "the most you are
    > prepared to pay" is "more than you really want to", that's ok, you don't
    > get the bargain you hoped for, but still have something you consider worth
    > what you paid.

    FWIW they are now up to £62 with 4 hrs to go; that's approaching 9
    speed Tiagra new price.

  16. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    they eventually went for about 87 which says a lot about..... something
    or other.
    anyway; I just fished the 8 speed wheel out of the loft and it dropped
    straight into the frame (the 7speed hub must have been spaced); does
    this mean I can go for a 9 speed upgrade just by changing the
    shifters/wheels?

  17. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ooglegroups.com...
    > they eventually went for about 87 which says a lot about..... something
    > or other.
    > anyway; I just fished the 8 speed wheel out of the loft and it dropped
    > straight into the frame (the 7speed hub must have been spaced); does
    > this mean I can go for a 9 speed upgrade just by changing the
    > shifters/wheels?

    (slow reply - back from hols..)

    Chain too, but probably, yes.

    cheers,
    clive

  18. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > Thanks! Let me know when you're about. Is it manouverable enough for
    > serious singletrack?

    I suspect the answer depends on how good you are at riding it :)

    There is an obvious turning circle limit due to the wheelbase, and you can't
    do trials-type things like hopping wheels around. But a standard answer (for
    better riders than us) to people saying 'that section's not suitable for
    tandems' is to show a picture of them doing it.

    The alternative technique is to abandon any pretence of finesse and just use
    the weight to plough through things - they're quite good at holding a line.
    (it's one of the things the FS one is rather better at than the hardtail).

    cheers,
    clive

  19. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > The alternative technique is to abandon any pretence of finesse and just use
    > the weight to plough through things - they're quite good at holding a line.
    > (it's one of the things the FS one is rather better at than the hardtail).

    Glad to hear you are getting your money's worth :)

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email

  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Clive George wrote:
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > they eventually went for about 87 which says a lot about..... something
    > > or other.
    > > anyway; I just fished the 8 speed wheel out of the loft and it dropped
    > > straight into the frame (the 7speed hub must have been spaced); does
    > > this mean I can go for a 9 speed upgrade just by changing the
    > > shifters/wheels?

    > (slow reply - back from hols..)
    >
    > Chain too, but probably, yes.

    thanks; but having seen a club-mate's Ribble winter trainer I'm
    probably going to go for a new bike for 2007, the old one will be 5-9
    yrs old by then and due for retirement for riding along sandy beaches
    and muddy lanes (err hang on, it does that now)