Shimano R535 spoke problems

Status

Mark

Guest
I have a Raleigh R700 road bike that came standard with Shimano R535 wheels. For the first 1600
miles or so, I had no problems. Now within the last two hundred miles or so, I've broken two
rear spokes.

This wouldn't be a problem, except that none of my LBSs stock parts for this wheel (including the
store that the bike came from and another store that sells the wheel! *). The first time the spoke
broke, I had the shop order extras - if they won't stock them, I will. The second time, the spoke
broke at the nipple, and of course when I pre-ordered the spokes I hadn't pre-ordered the nipples -
another two weeks of downtime.

I'd consider buying enough parts to redo the entire wheel if that would help, but I can't find
anyone online that sells spokes for the R535. I can't find anyone online that sells anything except
complete R535s or R540s.

My questions:

- Has anyone else with this wheel had similar problems? If so, what did you do to solve it?

- Are there any online sources for R535 parts?

- Any other suggestions (besides replace the rear wheel)?

Mark

* I don't mind that a shop that doesn't sell Shimano wheels has to order parts. It does bother me
that a store that sells the wheel doesn't have the parts to service what it sells.

Flowmd

Guest
I broke a spoke on my 535's last summer. The shop where I bought the bike didn't stock spokes but
ordered some for my toolbox and for his. I also ordered the special spoke wrench. By the way, the
spokes come in different lenghts, drive side and non drive side. He gave me a loaner wheel until
they came in and everyone was happy.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:45:19 -0500, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Raleigh R700 road bike that came standard with Shimano R535 wheels. For the first 1600
>miles or so, I had no problems. Now within the last two hundred miles or so, I've broken two
>rear spokes.
>
>This wouldn't be a problem, except that none of my LBSs stock parts for this wheel (including the
>store that the bike came from and another store that sells the wheel! *). The first time the spoke
>broke, I had the shop order extras - if they won't stock them, I will. The second time, the spoke
>broke at the nipple, and of course when I pre-ordered the spokes I hadn't pre-ordered the nipples -
>another two weeks of downtime.
>
>I'd consider buying enough parts to redo the entire wheel if that would help, but I can't find
>anyone online that sells spokes for the R535. I can't find anyone online that sells anything except
>complete R535s or R540s.
>
>My questions:
>
>- Has anyone else with this wheel had similar problems? If so, what did you do to solve it?
>
>- Are there any online sources for R535 parts?
>
>- Any other suggestions (besides replace the rear wheel)?
>
>Mark
>
>* I don't mind that a shop that doesn't sell Shimano wheels has to order parts. It does bother me
> that a store that sells the wheel doesn't have the parts to service what it sells.

Donn Wolf Northern Michigan University

Status
Not open for further replies.