Shimano R535 spoke problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I have a Raleigh R700 road bike that came standard with Shimano R535 wheels. For the first 1600
    miles or so, I had no problems. Now within the last two hundred miles or so, I've broken two
    rear spokes.

    This wouldn't be a problem, except that none of my LBSs stock parts for this wheel (including the
    store that the bike came from and another store that sells the wheel! *). The first time the spoke
    broke, I had the shop order extras - if they won't stock them, I will. The second time, the spoke
    broke at the nipple, and of course when I pre-ordered the spokes I hadn't pre-ordered the nipples -
    another two weeks of downtime.

    I'd consider buying enough parts to redo the entire wheel if that would help, but I can't find
    anyone online that sells spokes for the R535. I can't find anyone online that sells anything except
    complete R535s or R540s.

    My questions:

    - Has anyone else with this wheel had similar problems? If so, what did you do to solve it?

    - Are there any online sources for R535 parts?

    - Any other suggestions (besides replace the rear wheel)?

    Mark

    * I don't mind that a shop that doesn't sell Shimano wheels has to order parts. It does bother me
    that a store that sells the wheel doesn't have the parts to service what it sells.

    Tags:

  2. Flowmd

    Flowmd Guest

    I broke a spoke on my 535's last summer. The shop where I bought the bike didn't stock spokes but
    ordered some for my toolbox and for his. I also ordered the special spoke wrench. By the way, the
    spokes come in different lenghts, drive side and non drive side. He gave me a loaner wheel until
    they came in and everyone was happy.

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:45:19 -0500, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a Raleigh R700 road bike that came standard with Shimano R535 wheels. For the first 1600
    >miles or so, I had no problems. Now within the last two hundred miles or so, I've broken two
    >rear spokes.
    >
    >This wouldn't be a problem, except that none of my LBSs stock parts for this wheel (including the
    >store that the bike came from and another store that sells the wheel! *). The first time the spoke
    >broke, I had the shop order extras - if they won't stock them, I will. The second time, the spoke
    >broke at the nipple, and of course when I pre-ordered the spokes I hadn't pre-ordered the nipples -
    >another two weeks of downtime.
    >
    >I'd consider buying enough parts to redo the entire wheel if that would help, but I can't find
    >anyone online that sells spokes for the R535. I can't find anyone online that sells anything except
    >complete R535s or R540s.
    >
    >My questions:
    >
    >- Has anyone else with this wheel had similar problems? If so, what did you do to solve it?
    >
    >- Are there any online sources for R535 parts?
    >
    >- Any other suggestions (besides replace the rear wheel)?
    >
    >Mark
    >
    >* I don't mind that a shop that doesn't sell Shimano wheels has to order parts. It does bother me
    > that a store that sells the wheel doesn't have the parts to service what it sells.

    Donn Wolf Northern Michigan University