Shimano rapidfire shifts SRAM X.7 rear

David

Guest
Hi everyone,

Looking to replace my severely busted Shimano LX rear derailleur, the
bike shop I frequent to tried to steer me into getting a SRAM X.7.
It's better quality and it's slightly cheaper than a new LX. Question
is, I have a STX-RC 8 speed rapidfire and she claimed that this will
work with the X.7. She swore by it because their mechanic installed
these on several Shimano shifter equipped bikes already.

I'm a little apprehensive about this because, it made no mention on the
box that it's Shimano compatible. It's ESP 1:1 on the SRAM website.
The shop people were quite adamant that it will work, but to guarantee
compatibility, they will have to install it for me.

Who should I believe?

David wrote:
> Looking to replace my severely busted Shimano LX rear derailleur, the
> bike shop I frequent to tried to steer me into getting a SRAM X.7.
> It's better quality and it's slightly cheaper than a new LX. Question
> is, I have a STX-RC 8 speed rapidfire and she claimed that this will
> work with the X.7. She swore by it because their mechanic installed
> these on several Shimano shifter equipped bikes already.
>
> I'm a little apprehensive about this because, it made no mention on the
> box that it's Shimano compatible. It's ESP 1:1 on the SRAM website.
> The shop people were quite adamant that it will work, but to guarantee
> compatibility, they will have to install it for me.
>
> Who should I believe?

Yes, there are SRAM changers which would work in your system
but, no, X.7 isn't one of them.

SRAM products with ESP printed on the derailleur are 1:1
cable travel models . Those require an ESP shifter.

MRX series SRAM changers are Shimano compatible. SRAM seems
to have truncated their Shimano compatible line to just the
one (MRX) model.

Do ride an ESP bike, though. You might like that X.7 with an
ESP shifter set.

p.s., regarding price, LX M570S and X7 cost exactly the same
so it should not be much cheaper.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

you can get a x9 dr and trigger or grip shifters new for 100.00 to 120.00 right
now.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

> Do ride an ESP bike, though. You might like that X.7 with an
> ESP shifter set.

I'm new to this ESP stuff and am willing to switch from my Shimano
STX-RC system over to it. But I have a fairly tight budget, so I am
sticking with 8 speed cos I can get the cogs and chains (SRAM stuff for
50% cheaper than ShimaNO equivalent here). Will an 8 speed ESP shifter
(gripshift AMY I'm looking at now) shift the X.7 rear derailleur ok on
a 8 speed Shimano cogset that I have now?
The reason I'm asking this is, my current STX-RC is just about to die.
The return spring was fixed twice and it's failing again, so I'm
planning to kill 2 birds with one stone at the best possible price.

> p.s., regarding price, LX M570S and X7 cost exactly the same
> so it should not be much cheaper.

Here, the X.7 is $3 cheaper than the 570 and way cheaper than the new
580. Speaking of which, is the LX 580 any better than the 570 to
justify its price?

David.

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Knight
<[email protected]> wrote:

> you can get a x9 dr and trigger or grip shifters new for 100.00 to 120.00
> right
> now.

Steve,

I'm trying to keep it 8 speed as possible and I found I can get the ESP
7.0 or 9.0 grip shifter (rear only) plus a X.7 rear for about $55 to 65
by mail. I don't mind trying gripshift after riding with rapid fires
for 6 years. I think it should shift ok with an 8 speed shimano
cassette?

David.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:12:57 GMT, David
<[email protected]> may have said:

>> Do ride an ESP bike, though. You might like that X.7 with an
>> ESP shifter set.
>>

>I'm new to this ESP stuff and am willing to switch from my Shimano
>STX-RC system over to it. But I have a fairly tight budget, so I am
>sticking with 8 speed cos I can get the cogs and chains (SRAM stuff for
>50% cheaper than ShimaNO equivalent here). Will an 8 speed ESP shifter
>(gripshift AMY I'm looking at now) shift the X.7 rear derailleur ok on
>a 8 speed Shimano cogset that I have now?
>The reason I'm asking this is, my current STX-RC is just about to die.
>The return spring was fixed twice and it's failing again, so I'm
>planning to kill 2 birds with one stone at the best possible price.

Yes, an SRAM ESP shifter (any of them, trigger or grip) will shift the
x7 der just fine. I would strongly recommend trying the gripshift out
before swapping to it, though. My personal opinion of gripshifts in
general is that they are material to be supplied to one's competition
in the largest possible quantities. I will admit that the SRAM
gripshift for their ESP rear ders is nowhere near as objectionable as
any of the Shimano-compatible gripshifts I've tried, but it still
isn't to my taste. That said, I've installed a couple of sets for
friends, and they seem to work well. For those who like this type of
setup, the SRAM twist-grip seems to be a good choice. (And obviously,
for trigger-happy types like me, they're not.)

>> p.s., regarding price, LX M570S and X7 cost exactly the same
>> so it should not be much cheaper.

>Here, the X.7 is $3 cheaper than the 570 and way cheaper than the new
>580.

Shop all of these components around. You may find some surprises.

David wrote:
> I'm new to this ESP stuff and am willing to switch from my Shimano
> STX-RC system over to it. But I have a fairly tight budget, so I am
> sticking with 8 speed cos I can get the cogs and chains (SRAM stuff for
> 50% cheaper than ShimaNO equivalent here). Will an 8 speed ESP shifter
> (gripshift AMY I'm looking at now) shift the X.7 rear derailleur ok on
> a 8 speed Shimano cogset that I have now?
> The reason I'm asking this is, my current STX-RC is just about to die.
> The return spring was fixed twice and it's failing again, so I'm
> planning to kill 2 birds with one stone at the best possible price.

> Here, the X.7 is $3 cheaper than the 570 and way cheaper

than the new
> 580. Speaking of which, is the LX 580 any better than the 570 to
> justify its price?

He he. Depends on how much you value 'shifts backwards' as
either a gimick or an improvemnet. It's worth it to somebody!
In fairness, backwards shifting not only works but in some
ways is better. You should ride one. If you like that, the
M580 is _way_ nicer than a Suntour Skitter but nowhere near
as pretty.

SRAM offers both trigger and twist at several price points
for six, seven , eight and nine. 8sp from under $30/pair.
--

David wrote:
> I'm trying to keep it 8 speed as possible and I found I can get the ESP
> 7.0 or 9.0 grip shifter (rear only) plus a X.7 rear for about $55 to 65
> by mail. I don't mind trying gripshift after riding with rapid fires
> for 6 years. I think it should shift ok with an 8 speed shimano
> cassette?

ESP is a format for cable travel and relates to the
coordination between shifter amd changer. Both SIS and ESP
use the same cassette spacings. Yes an ESP-8 shifter and ESP
changer will shift properly with a Shimano, SRAM or SunRace
cassette.

At the very basic end, Shimano has kept 7sp HG50 cassettes
at a low price, hurting SunRace a lot. But in mid price and
top end cassettes I like SRAM. Take a look at a SRAM 970
from the back side. Pretty, eh? Cheaper and lighter too.

(In theory, the drawback of a no-spider design is that under
high loads on an aluminum body, the cogs might dig in and
rattle. That's uncommon and I'm not sure it actually hurts
anything)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> SRAM offers both trigger and twist at several price points for six, seven
> , eight and nine. 8sp from under $30/pair.

SRAM Trigger is only available for 9s.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I wrote

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> SRAM Trigger is only available for 9s.

Yeah, that was pretty general. X7 and Attack triggers in 8
or 9, twist in 6 through 9. No tens.
Twist start under $30, triggers start around $70.
SRAM shifters are readily available in singles
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> friends, and they seem to work well. For those who like this type of
> setup, the SRAM twist-grip seems to be a good choice. (And obviously,
> for trigger-happy types like me, they're not.)

I had used Gripshifts before on my first hardtail bike. It was the
Gripshift SRT-800 and they are great, except for reliability. I heard
that the current 7.0 and 9.0 Gripshifts are of better quality?

David.

> SRAM offers both trigger and twist at several price points
> for six, seven , eight and nine. 8sp from under $30/pair.

Can you tell me where I can find SRAM 8 speed triggers?

David.

> ESP is a format for cable travel and relates to the
> coordination between shifter amd changer. Both SIS and ESP
> use the same cassette spacings. Yes an ESP-8 shifter and ESP
> changer will shift properly with a Shimano, SRAM or SunRace
> cassette.
>
> At the very basic end, Shimano has kept 7sp HG50 cassettes
> at a low price, hurting SunRace a lot. But in mid price and
> top end cassettes I like SRAM. Take a look at a SRAM 970
> from the back side. Pretty, eh? Cheaper and lighter too.
>
> (In theory, the drawback of a no-spider design is that under
> high loads on an aluminum body, the cogs might dig in and
> rattle. That's uncommon and I'm not sure it actually hurts
> anything)

Andrew,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

David.

David wrote:
> Can you tell me where I can find SRAM 8 speed triggers?

We have 'em
(for ESP and for SIS)