Shimano RD-2200 rear der. max Sprocket?

Dan Carlsson

Guest
My rear der. Shimano RD-2200 says this in the spec. :

Max. Sprocket 27T
Min. Sprocket 11T
Front Difference 14T
Total Capacity 29T

But in your opinion, is it possible to use it with a 28T sprocket?
Even if it says Max. 27T?

And what does Total Capacity means?

/dan

On 1 May 2004 17:28:40 -0700, [email protected] (Dan Carlsson)
wrote:

>My rear der. Shimano RD-2200 says this in the spec. :
>
>Max. Sprocket 27T
>Min. Sprocket 11T
>Front Difference 14T
>Total Capacity 29T
>
>But in your opinion, is it possible to use it with a 28T sprocket?
>Even if it says Max. 27T?

Yes. 30 is common, although I had a problem getting that on one
derailleur.

>And what does Total Capacity means?
>
>/dan

Range of rear added to range of front

Example- rear 11-27 = 16 teeth
front 52/39 = 13 teeth

Total of that setup is 29

This number can be exceeded along with the maximum rear sprocket size.

> Yes. 30 is common, although I had a problem getting that on one
> derailleur.
>
> >And what does Total Capacity means?
> >
> >/dan

> Range of rear added to range of front
>
> Example- rear 11-27 = 16 teeth
> front 52/39 = 13 teeth
>
> Total of that setup is 29
>
> This number can be exceeded along with the maximum rear sprocket size.

Thnks for the info!

So if i use a single chainring of 42 t in the front, i can exceed the
max. teeth in the rear by even more then?

On 2 May 2004 00:42:49 -0700, [email protected] (Dan Carlsson)
wrote:

>> Yes. 30 is common, although I had a problem getting that on one
>> derailleur.
>>
>> >And what does Total Capacity means?
>> >
>> >/dan

>> Range of rear added to range of front
>>
>> Example- rear 11-27 = 16 teeth
>> front 52/39 = 13 teeth
>>
>> Total of that setup is 29
>>
>> This number can be exceeded along with the maximum rear sprocket size.

>Thnks for the info!
>
>So if i use a single chainring of 42 t in the front, i can exceed the
>max. teeth in the rear by even more then?

If I understand what you are saying, no. Or at least I doubt it.
Maximum cog size in back is limited by the basic design and geometry
of the parallelogram (sp?) of the derailleur.

If you want a more informed and definitive answer, I'd suggest you
pull this question out into a new thread. There are people here who
have tried combinations my mother warned me against, and yet they have
lived to tell their tales :) When a question arises in the middle of
an ongoing thread, it can be missed by others.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:22:49 -0700, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:
>>So if i use a single chainring of 42 t in the front, i can exceed the
>>max. teeth in the rear by even more then?

>If I understand what you are saying, no. Or at least I doubt it.
>Maximum cog size in back is limited by the basic design and geometry
>of the parallelogram (sp?) of the derailleur.

True, but a longer B-tension screw (or a shim, or put existing screw
in backwards) will allow most Shimano rear derailers to handle a
larger cog (if I understand correctly, and I'm moderately sure I
do).
--
Rick Onanian