Shimano recalls front QRs on new bikes supplied since Nov 2005

Mike Causer wrote:
> Bounght a new bike since November last year? If it has a Shimano front
> hub you should read this and check the model number on the hub!
>
> http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6668

My REAR quick release axle snapped the other day - it was part of a
complete new wheel bought in Janurary but I put it down to the mass of
the rider and the amount of abuse I give the bike.
If it's Shimano would the hub and wheel be very obviously marked? The
hub doesn't seem to have anything on it and the only marking on the
wheel was 'MACH10' followed by a load of numbers.

peter

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> Mike Causer wrote:
> > Bounght a new bike since November last year? If it has a Shimano front
> > hub you should read this and check the model number on the hub!
> >
> > http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6668

> My REAR quick release axle snapped the other day - it was part of a
> complete new wheel bought in Janurary but I put it down to the mass of
> the rider and the amount of abuse I give the bike.
> If it's Shimano would the hub and wheel be very obviously marked? The
> hub doesn't seem to have anything on it and the only marking on the
> wheel was 'MACH10' followed by a load of numbers.
>
> peter

It would be on the hub, and if you have a complete Shimano wheel, on
the rim as well.

If you go to:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/

there's a link on that page to the .pdf of the recall notice in various
languages.
It lists the models of hub and wheelset affected, and shows, with a
diagram, where the model markings are on various hubs.

This recall applies to front skewers only though, so your rear skewer
is not involved.
Unless of course, you've a Shimano equipped penny-farthing, and have
been using a front hub on the back wheel. This may have invalidated the
waranty though ;-)

Regards,

bookieb.

bookieb wrote:

>naked_draughtsman wrote:
>> Mike Causer wrote:
>> > Bounght a new bike since November last year? If it has a Shimano front
>> > hub you should read this and check the model number on the hub!

>If you go to:
>http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/
>
>there's a link on that page to the .pdf of the recall notice in various
>languages.

A right mess they've made of naming the various English pages though.

MT-GB (Malta), UK-GB (UK) and ZA-GB (South Africa)