shimano roadbike chainrings

Paul Jones

Guest
Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
23!), even if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them (in
Australia). So many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the
shimano website couldnt tell
me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

Paul

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:07:52 +0000, Paul Jones wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
>
> I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
> chainrings.

You can tell the difference in the "jump" between chainrings of a 53/39 versus a 52/39?

> A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if
>44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Inner ring, or outer?

> Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them (in
> Australia). So many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the
> shimano website couldnt tell
> me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

The only obstruction to "compatibility" is the diameter of the bolt circle. Shimano are all 130.
Look for that, not the model number.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

You should move to a place that has hills then. :)

nospam wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
>
> I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
> chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
> 23!), even if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions. -- Lillian Hellman

Paul Jones <"katpaul"@(nospam)dodo.com.au> schreef ...

> Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them (in
> Australia). So many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the
> shimano website couldnt tell
> me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

You'd better find someone who stocks TA chainrings: they're better (as
in: more durable) and far cheaper than Shimanos. And they come in almost *every* conceivable size,
which is not the case with the Big S. Take a look at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp, in the "130 mm" section.

--
Regards, Marten

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:07:52 +0000, Paul Jones wrote:

> > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> > Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
> >
> > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
> > chainrings.
>
> You can tell the difference in the "jump" between chainrings of a 53/39 versus a 52/39?

He didn't even begin to say that. He just said the jump is big, which it is.

> > A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even
> > if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

44t tooth rings are available for 130 BCD. See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130

> Inner ring, or outer?

Why not stop and think for a moment? If he says if he might even use his 23 (his biggest cog) with a
44t, then he is obviously talking inner ring.

Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:
: You'd better find someone who stocks TA chainrings: they're better (as
: in: more durable) and far cheaper than Shimanos. And they come in almost *every* conceivable size,
: which is not the case with the Big S. Take a look at
: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp, in the "130 mm" section.

http://www.xxcycle.com/

select chainrings, specialites ta from browse, hit go and look for "Alize" which are 130bcd.

here it helps to speak a little french (or not be an idiot, actually). where it says "Alize
42/46-2" the 42/46 means 42 to 46 and the -2 means "intermediare" or middle chainring. -1 is
interior (double or triple) and -3 is exterior. the colours are red, black, blue and silver. most
rings are $28 to $32.

i've bought chainrings from them a couple of times. they aren't all that fast but they have a good
stock of colours and sizes. and shipping from france is reasonable.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:30:59 +0000, gwhite wrote:

>> > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
>> > chainrings.
>>
>> You can tell the difference in the "jump" between chainrings of a 53/39 versus a 52/39?
>
> He didn't even begin to say that. He just said the jump is big, which it
> is.

Well, he was used to the 52/39, and now complains about how big the 53/39 jump is...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein