Shimano roller brake hub

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bentbiker, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    anyone have any experience with this hub? is it pretty effective for stopping, does it create any
    "drag" on the wheels efficiency, and what's cassette will it accept 8 speed? TIA

    Tags:

  2. "bentbiker" skrev ...
    > anyone have any experience with this hub? is it pretty effective for stopping, does it create any
    > "drag" on the wheels efficiency, and what's cassette will it accept 8 speed? TIA

    Shimano Nexave? I have them on my TE-clone. They are as effective as my mechanical discbrakes were
    and less adjustment needed. A little more work if you want to take the wheel off. No drag to speak
    of AFAIK. Mine uses an eight speed Megarange cassette.

    Mikael

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    thanks Mikael, i haven't seen one in person, is there something that "wears out" like a brake does?

  4. On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:05:06 +0100, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Shimano Nexave? I have them on my TE-clone. They are as effective as my mechanical discbrakes were
    >and less adjustment needed. A little more work if you want to take the wheel off. No drag to speak
    >of AFAIK. Mine uses an eight speed Megarange cassette.

    Does it work on any frame, or do you need to weld some kind of mounting hardware to the frame? If it
    works on any frame it would be a good option for people who change wheel sizes.

  5. "bentbiker" skrev...
    > thanks Mikael, i haven't seen one in person, is there something that "wears out" like a
    > brake does?

    I haven't looked but I assume it has two large brakeshoes inside. The ones on my Sturmey Archer hub
    looks very durable.

    They do need a grease refill at some point but I havent noticed any fade in mine after 8 months
    without one.

    M.

  6. "Ken Kobayashi" skrev

    > Does it work on any frame, or do you need to weld some kind of mounting hardware to the frame? If
    > it works on any frame it would be a good option for people who change wheel sizes.

    I didn't need to weld anything. The rear came with mounting hardware for attaching it to the
    rearstay. In front theres usually a little bracket welded on the fork but you can just use a loose
    one that normally holds the brakearm on a bike with pedalbrakes on. (I can snap a pic or two if the
    previous sentence made no sense ;-) )

    Mikael

  7. I'm using the T400-series btw. I see that they have a new C500 series with a snazzier look and a
    9-speed option now.

    Mikael

  8. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in news:3E7251E7.4080107 @accesstoledo.com:

    > anyone have any experience with this hub? is it pretty effective for stopping, does it create any
    > "drag" on the wheels efficiency, and what's cassette will it accept 8 speed? TIA

    I have a 9-sp Megarange 11-34 on my Presto. Only ~100 miles on it so far. No noticeable drag.
    Good, well-modulated stopping power. It's called a roller brake because internally it has rollers
    spaced around an expanding cone/wedge. The rollers are forced out against the inside of the drum
    by the wedge.

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer