Shimano roller brakes with drop bar levers?

Brian Smith

Guest
Has anyone tried that combo?
I'm sure that something like a 287 or 287V would pull adequate cable,
possibly a campy daul pivot era lever, then maybe a shimano dual pivot lever
is doubtful, and my least likely candidate would be a pre-dual pivot era
lever.
I'd like to find something that not only allowed good brake funciton, but
preserved the ability to release the cable end from the link without moving
a barrel adjuster.
Any experiences to share?
thanks!

Brian Smith wrote:

> Has anyone tried that combo?
> I'm sure that something like a 287 or 287V would pull adequate cable,
> possibly a campy daul pivot era lever, then maybe a shimano dual pivot lever
> is doubtful, and my least likely candidate would be a pre-dual pivot era
> lever.
> I'd like to find something that not only allowed good brake funciton, but
> preserved the ability to release the cable end from the link without moving
> a barrel adjuster.
> Any experiences to share?
> thanks!

Well, the levers on my wife's bike, with roller brakes, have two
positions marked; one for cantis or rollers, and one for V-brakes. So
the 287 or Shimano RSX levers should work fine. Roller brakes have a
large mechanical advantage and feel very soft - a bit like using non-V
levers with V-brakes - but they will stop you.

> > Any experiences to share?
> > thanks!
> >

> Brian, you will need more travel than drop levers offer.
>
> Get yourself a Travel Agent, it should do the trick nicely.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/54gln
>
> Dave

According to the Shimano literature, roller brakes should be used with
standard-pull brake levers, not V-brake compatible levers. Using the
roller brakes with V-brake levers or the Travel Agent could result in
more cable being pulled with less force. Less-than-optimal braking
*could* result.

Jeff

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dave Reckoning wrote:
>> "Brian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > Any experiences to share?
>> > thanks!
>> >

>> Get yourself a Travel Agent, it should do the trick nicely.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/54gln
>>
>> Dave

> Less-than-optimal braking
> *could* result.
>
> Jeff

Jeff, I should have properly qualified my statement. I can see how this
oversight has lead to confusion.

I have run the Shimano Nexus stuff for some time and have tried it using
drop levers, bar end levers (those things that go on the ends of your
cow-horns) and V-brake MTB levers. Like you I read the Shimano literature
and expected to get good results with normal travel road levers. This was
not my experience however. I found that the roller brakes did engage pretty
well, in fact nearly well enough with road levers but they always felt
"spongy" and suffered from needing to be meticulously adjusted on a frequent
basis to maintain this just barley sufficient mode of operation. The bar-end
(please forgive me for not knowing the proper name here) levers worked much
better and were acceptable but not great. I found that either V-brake or
drop levers with the Travel Agent installed worked great. I don't have super
strong hands for a cyclist and think that most people would be well advised
to try the travel agent.

Hope that clears up my comment.

Dave

Dave Reckoning wrote:

> Jeff, I should have properly qualified my statement. I can see how

this
> oversight has lead to confusion.

Sounds good to me.

"The difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there's
no difference. In practice, there is."

Jeff