Shimano RS80 vs custom wheels?

colebatchd

Aug 15, 2009
Hi All,

I went into my LBS to ask about wheelbuilding the other day. They said they did it, but then recommended buying a stock Shimano set (RS80 was their recommendation).

I mainly do hills these days, don't do any racing, and want a set of wheels that I'll be happy with in the hills, I can use 2-3 times a week, and will support my 84kg frame. This was the brief that gave me the RS80 recommendation - on paper they seem ok, am I missing something?

Cheers,
Dim

colebatchd said:
Hi All,

I went into my LBS to ask about wheelbuilding the other day. They said they did it, but then recommended buying a stock Shimano set (RS80 was their recommendation).

I mainly do hills these days, don't do any racing, and want a set of wheels that I'll be happy with in the hills, I can use 2-3 times a week, and will support my 84kg frame. This was the brief that gave me the RS80 recommendation - on paper they seem ok, am I missing something?

Cheers,
Dim

$900 here in the Colonies. I think using a Ultegra hubset and a good wheelbuilder using DT or Velocity rims, you could have a reliable wheelset that would weigh about the same, not use unique to this wheel parts(like spokes/nipples/hubs) and cost less.

Peter@vecchios said:
$900 here in the Colonies. I think using a Ultegra hubset and a good wheelbuilder using DT or Velocity rims, you could have a reliable wheelset that would weigh about the same, not use unique to this wheel parts(like spokes/nipples/hubs) and cost less.

A lot cheaper online:

Shimano RS80 Carbon Clincher Wheels [4161] - £337.17 : Slane Cycles, The World's Friendliest Bike Shop

$513 delivered. Hard to say no to, right? I imagine its going to be hard to get a good wheelset built for that locally given the cost of parts...

colebatchd said:
A lot cheaper online:

Shimano RS80 Carbon Clincher Wheels [4161] - £337.17 : Slane Cycles, The World's Friendliest Bike Shop

$513 delivered. Hard to say no to, right? I imagine its going to be hard to get a good wheelset built for that locally given the cost of parts...

No it's not. You can have a good set of wheels easily built for $300-400 or less. Factory built wheels offer no substantive advantages. The only time you need factory wheels is if you specifically want a solid wheel like a Hed3 or you want a disc wheel (and are not willing to just use wheel covers).

alienator said:
No it's not. You can have a good set of wheels easily built for $300-400 or less. Factory built wheels offer no substantive advantages. The only time you need factory wheels is if you specifically want a solid wheel like a Hed3 or you want a disc wheel (and are not willing to just use wheel covers).

Ok, thanks - I'll go back to my earlier plan of ringing around wheelbuilders until I find one who seems interested.

Cheers,
Dim

colebatchd said:
A lot cheaper online:

Ya get what you pay for. Personally I think even a few $ more to get a reliable, designed and built for you, wheelset using better parts is money well spent.

Kinda like a suit off the rack w/o any alterations vs a custom suit. The first may 'work', but the second is better.