Shimano RSX--derailleur cable-help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by James Cassatt, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. I am trying to change the rear derailleur cable on a road
    bike equipped with Shimano RSX 8 speed STI shifters. It is
    not at all clear how to get the old cable off. For the front
    shifter the cable slides out of a hole on the outboard side.
    However, pushing on the loose rear cable just seems to push
    it into the housing. Help

    Thanks

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. James Cassatt wrote:

    > I am trying to change the rear derailleur cable on a road
    > bike equipped with Shimano RSX 8 speed STI shifters. It is
    > not at all clear how to get the old cable off. For the
    > front shifter the cable slides out of a hole on the
    > outboard side. However, pushing on the loose rear cable
    > just seems to push it into the housing. Help

    Rear is the same, but with each of them you need to shift to
    the slackest cable position first, (low front, high rear) to
    get the access hole to line up.

    Sheldon "Easier Than You Might Expect" Brown +----------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. | Set
    | a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life. |
    --+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
    parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. Evan

    Evan Guest

    I'm also having a problem. I got the cable changed on my RSX
    7-speed STI shifter, but couldn't get it to shift the rear
    derailleur, so I tightened the cable, and continued to do so
    as the shifter still failed to shift. Eventually, it stopped
    even pulling the cable, now, I can't get the shifter to
    slacken the cable, nor can I see the cable in its usual
    track inside the shifter.

    Evan