Shimano RSX--derailleur cable-help

James Cassatt

Guest
I am trying to change the rear derailleur cable on a road
bike equipped with Shimano RSX 8 speed STI shifters. It is
not at all clear how to get the old cable off. For the front
shifter the cable slides out of a hole on the outboard side.
However, pushing on the loose rear cable just seems to push
it into the housing. Help

Thanks

Jim

James Cassatt wrote:

> I am trying to change the rear derailleur cable on a road
> bike equipped with Shimano RSX 8 speed STI shifters. It is
> not at all clear how to get the old cable off. For the
> front shifter the cable slides out of a hole on the
> outboard side. However, pushing on the loose rear cable
> just seems to push it into the housing. Help

Rear is the same, but with each of them you need to shift to
the slackest cable position first, (low front, high rear) to
get the access hole to line up.

Sheldon "Easier Than You Might Expect" Brown +----------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. | Set
| a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life. |
--+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

I'm also having a problem. I got the cable changed on my RSX
7-speed STI shifter, but couldn't get it to shift the rear
derailleur, so I tightened the cable, and continued to do so
as the shifter still failed to shift. Eventually, it stopped
even pulling the cable, now, I can't get the shifter to
slacken the cable, nor can I see the cable in its usual
track inside the shifter.

Evan