Shimano RSX double crank quality

Bfd

Guest
Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to get
one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy it is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to
Shimano 105? Campy Mirage? Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to
> get one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy
it
> is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to Shimano 105? Campy
Mirage?
> Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster

RSx is just below 105 level. Incidentally, is it a double crank or a double crank *set*. Good price
for the level of quality.

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:55:31 -0500, "Derek Hodges"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to
>> get one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy
>it
>> is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to Shimano 105? Campy
>Mirage?
>> Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster
>>
>RSx is just below 105 level. Incidentally, is it a double crank or a double crank *set*. Good price
>for the level of quality.

Actually, RSX is below RX100 which is below 105. I have no experience about *what* the quality
differences are; some of Shimano hierarchies seem more about labeling and marketing than meaningful
differences. And some are significant differences.

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/Gruppen.html

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to
> get one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy
it
> is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to Shimano 105? Campy
Mirage?
> Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster

I have the RSX 110 triple on two touring bikes. Like most of shimano's mid-range components, these
are a great value, i.e. high quality at a reasonable price.

I am not sure how the double RSX arms compare in weight, but my set of RSX
110/74 triple crank arms are lighter than either a set of old DX 110/74 arms, a set of newer 105
130/74 splined arms or even my set of tapered RaceFace LP 94/58 arms. I don't have the numbers,
just remember the ordering from the time I weighed them all on my lab scale.

However they are pretty darn flexy. I say get them, try out the set up and see if it works for you
and if it does then invest in a good set of 110mm arms.

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to
> get one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy
it
> is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to Shimano 105? Campy
Mirage?
> Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:03:08 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>However they are pretty darn flexy. I say get them, try out the set up and see if it works for you
>and if it does then invest in a good set of 110mm arms.

How do you know when a crank is flexy?

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Actually, RSX is below RX100 which is below 105. I have no experience about *what* the quality
> differences are; some of Shimano hierarchies seem more about labeling and marketing than
> meaningful differences. And some are significant differences.
>
> http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/Gruppen.html

Most 105sc and RX100 parts are identical--it's just that 105sc has paint. I've owned 105sc cranks
and looked at RX100s, and I can't tell any difference.

As I wrote that I was thinking that myself. It is tough, kind of just a feeling. Is it BS, maybe,
but there have been times I really though I could feel it when comparing crank to crank, 105 splined
to Ultegra splined, cheapo White Industries to Race Face LPs, but it may have been me convincing
myself of that to justify spending the money for the new cranks.

news:[email protected]...

"Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone comment on the quality of a Shimano RSX110bcd double crank? I have an opportunity to
> > get one for around $30 and was wondering how heavy
> it
> > is and what's it comparable to? e.g., similar to Shimano 105? Campy
> Mirage?
> > Xenon? Lower? Thanks, Brewster
> >
> RSx is just below 105 level. Incidentally, is it a double crank or a double crank *set*. Good
> price for the level of quality.

Thanks for the reply. Its a double crankset that 170mm, 46/36 rings.