Shimano RSX FC-A417 triple crank replacement

fivermillions

Jun 20, 2010
Need to replace a friends RSX FC-417 triple crank, he stripped the pedal threads. I believe this has the old octalink design, but can't find a techdoc for it.

Will a 105 triple crank (FC-5505) work as a replacement?

Will a new 105 triple crank (FC 56-03) work if we also replace the bottom bracket, but keep the front deraillier?

thanks

Bob
Mason OHIO

fivermillions said:
Need to replace a friends RSX FC-417 triple crank, he stripped the pedal threads. I believe this has the old octalink design, but can't find a techdoc for it.

Will a 105 triple crank (FC-5505) work as a replacement?

Will a new 105 triple crank (FC 56-03) work if we also replace the bottom bracket, but keep the front deraillier?
There are TWO TYPES of Octalink BB spindles.

V1 is the type used by XTR, Dura Ace, and Ultegra.

AFAIK, V2 is the type used by all the other cranks which use an Octalink spindle -- e.g., XT, LX, Tiagra (?).

The splines are short on the V1 (3mm?) & longer on the V2 (5mm?) ... that may not mean much if you haven't seen the other to compare with other ... the spindle on the V2 BBs which I have are BLACK (but, there may be other finishes) and on the V1 the finish is polished or anodized (semi-silver).

You probably need to look for a Tiagra crankset which uses an Octalink BB OR change both the crank & BB -- ANY type of crank/BB combination can be substituted as a replacement.

Have you tried a helicoil in the crank first? Might save the trouble.