Shimano RSX Shifter Sometimes Doesn't

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew Swan, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Dear RBT,

    I have RSX shifters on my el cheapo Giant Peloton 7000 road bike, and they've worked fine since
    purchase (about 3 years now, in which the bike's done anything from 0 to 180km per week). Lately
    however, I've found that the chain doesn't always shift down from the big ring (52) to the middle
    ring (42) when I press the shift lever (it's a triple chainring, a non-standard item for this bike
    that was fitted by the shop when I bought it). At worst, I have to press the shi(f)t lever up to
    half a dozen times to get it to change down (which as you can imagine has its tactical drawbacks,
    never mind being disruptive to climbing style).

    Shifting down from the middle ring to the granny ring (30) always works fine. Shifting up always
    works (to both the 42 and the 52).

    I have just replaced the cable sleeve and lubricated the cable while fitting it - no improvement. I
    coincidentally have changed the chain just recently (from Shimano to Wippermann) - no difference.

    Any ideas? Could it be:

    (a) shifter problem (that only affects going from 52 -> 42 ring)
    (b) problem with the cable/sleeve/FD that only arises when the cable is under greater
    tension (hence shifting 42 -> 30 works OK)
    (c) sunspots / bad karma / UFOs / etc.?

    Thanks for any help/advice,

    &roo

    P.S. I have no idea how shifters work internally.

    Tags:

  2. andrew-<< Any ideas? Could it be:

    (a) shifter problem (that only affects going from 52 -> 42 ring) >><BR><BR>

    Get a 'STI repair kit'-some WD-40 or equivalewnt and spray a lot into the lever(both, couldn't hurt)
    while shifting it, may help.

  3. "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear RBT,
    >
    > I have RSX shifters on my el cheapo Giant Peloton 7000 road bike, and they've worked fine since
    > purchase (about 3 years now, in which the bike's done anything from 0 to 180km per week). Lately
    > however, I've found that the chain doesn't always shift down from the big ring (52) to the middle
    > ring (42) when I press the shift lever (it's a triple chainring, a non-standard item for this bike
    > that was fitted by the shop when I bought it). At worst, I have to press the shi(f)t lever up to
    > half a dozen times to get it to change down (which as you can imagine has its tactical drawbacks,
    > never mind being disruptive to climbing
    style).

    > Shifting down from the middle ring to the granny ring (30) always works fine. Shifting up always
    > works (to both the 42 and the 52).
    >
    > I have just replaced the cable sleeve and lubricated the cable while fitting it - no improvement.
    > I coincidentally have changed the chain just recently (from Shimano to Wippermann) - no
    > difference.
    >
    > Any ideas? Could it be:
    >
    > (a) shifter problem (that only affects going from 52 -> 42 ring)
    > (b) problem with the cable/sleeve/FD that only arises when the cable is under greater tension
    > (hence shifting 42 -> 30 works OK)
    > (c) sunspots / bad karma / UFOs / etc.?
    >
    > Thanks for any help/advice,
    >
    > &roo
    >
    > P.S. I have no idea how shifters work internally.

    My father's having exactly your problem with a RSX lever (105 front derailleur, 52/39). I'm not sure
    about it, but it sounds like after many years of use the pawl is at end of his life. As I said I
    could be totally wrong (there's a pawl inside the lever, isn't?...), as soon as he hears something
    from the LBS I will tell you!

    Francesco

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Swan
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dear RBT,
    >
    >I have RSX shifters on my el cheapo Giant Peloton 7000 road bike, and they've worked fine since
    >purchase (about 3 years now, in which the bike's done anything from 0 to 180km per week). Lately
    >however, I've found that the chain doesn't always shift down from the big ring (52) to the middle
    >ring (42) when I press the shift lever (it's a triple chainring, a non-standard item for this bike
    >that was fitted by the shop when I bought it). At worst, I have to press the shi(f)t lever up to
    >half a dozen times to get it to change down (which as you can imagine has its tactical drawbacks,
    >never mind being disruptive to climbing style).

    Lube the crap out of the shifter pod with triflow or WD and work the shifter action with the cable
    detached 100 times. If it doesn't work, soak it some more, wait overnight and try it again. It often
    succeeds, at least for a while.

  5. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Thanks all, will try what you suggested.

    &roo

  6. Bruce Graham

    Bruce Graham Guest

    > Thanks all, will try what you suggested.
    >
    > &roo

    These guys helped me with the same advice a month or so back. My RSX right lever is now like new
    again. (Flushed with WD40 while operating and I followed with a flush of synthetic lube to finish).
    I also replaced cables and jackets. Mine is a 97 build and was pretty dirty from rain riding and
    also outback dust.

    Bruce Graham